• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which Mag Float

I was looking at dr foster & smith and the Large Mag float was not that much but for the X large it was $90 .. so i'm trying to figure out which mag float i should use for the 220.. Anyone know or those with big tanks could let me in on what size they have

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You probably want to go with the x-large. It's not only bigger in cleaning area but it works on thicker glass.

Bob

If your glass isn't think enough you won't be able to move it, go by the thickness of your glass not the size of the magnet

The large should be ok. It is rated for up to 350 gallon tanks at 5/8" aquarium. I'm sure you could sell it to someone at the sale price if it doesn't work. If you are buying from drsfoster, maybe we can combine orders. I'm sure there's something I "need" from them.

Honestly to be in the safe side i would go with the x-large. Im pretty sure that glass is thick and you dont want the dame thing falling out every time u move it

Go for it I've learned from past experience that the cheap way in the long run is more costly. just get the one you know is guaranteed to work the way you want it to work.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The ReefGadget is the best thing to hit the Mag Float since replaceable covers. I don't clean my tank without one! Alright. So I don't usually clean the tank.

anyone know where i can get a mag-float with a razor blade on it? i know someone from this group use to make them. i have a mag float that works great for everything except coraline.

(thread highjacking in progress)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Patriot76 said:
anyone know where i can get a mag-float with a razor blade on it? i know someone from this group use to make them. i have a mag float that works great for everything except coraline.

(thread highjacking in progress)

Bill, that's what Phyl is talking about...the Reef Gadget:

http://www.reefgadgets.com/scraperorder.htm

Not sure if they are still available. Someone else chime in?

I was able to get one from dflint when he left the hobby - though I think my "razor" is actually made of plastic.

The production of these has ceased for some time. We'd have to convince the creator to re-start. Don't count on it...I know he's been super busy.

Phyl said:
You can use regular razors as long as your tank is glass.

easier said then done with an in-wall 180g. hard to reach the bottom of the front glass from behind the tank on a ladder. not to mention that you really cant see the coraline from the back (even with all powerheards & pumps off- no circulation). i have to have my wife direct me where to scrap. and i hate using a razor close to the corners in fear of slipping and cutting the silicone.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I meant on your ReefGadget! ;D I wouldn't try to use one bare handed!

as far as i know- tuxedo blue urchins are supposedly excellent at coralline removal...as long as you don't mind the rather haphazard way they go about it.

oh and thanks phyl! I didn't realize my reefgadget was for an acryllic tank. It works well on glass still!