• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which skimmer to choose??

Im looking for a good skimmer for a 90g in sump or outside keeping my options open on that atm anyways I've been looking at all brands from ASM, Octopus to even Deltecs so many out there which 1 would be the right one? This will be mostly SPS

Sorry can't help, but I'm in the same boat with my 120g that I need a skimmer for. I'd like to stay internal but am greatly overwhelmed by all that's out there. Want to keep sps and lps all while getting the quietest model I can possibly find.

junk/aceswild - i asked a question to premium aquatics - this is what they said to me (for a 120). Mind you I asked about a ASM and he re-directed to the below (i'm guessing they want to sell the newer stuff to make more money).

ATI BM160 $449.95 (Good skimmer, although would be at it’s limits on your system. You wouldn’t want to add anymore water volume to your total system)

ATI BM200 $549.95 (Good skimmer, and would have a little room to play with adding water volume if you ever chose to do so. The unit is still submersible, and the pump just injects into the skimmer body laying next to it.)

Bubble King Mini 160 $879.99 (Awesome skimmer, very well made and performs flawlessly. The ratings on this unit are extremely conservative from the manuf and would be more equivelant in performance to the BM200 - BM250.)

Bubble King Mini 180 $999.99 (The next step up from the Mini 160. This would be more equivelant to a BM250 – BM300 in performance).

If you are looking for a more inexpensive option that would work really well, then take a look at the Octopus Extreme 160 or Extreme 200. These are pretty much equivelant skimmers to the ATI’s, utilizing the same pumps. They were actually built specifically to compete with them. For a much cheaper solution, they are on par with performance of the ATI units.

That stated - everyone has a different opinion on a skimmer. I know Tom (mott) mentioned the extreme octo pumps weren't all that good.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So you're saying that PA is saying (still following me?!) that the BK Mini 180 is as good as the 300-800g BM300 at half the price? Less a 15% PA discount that's a very desirable solution to needing a skimmer on a 180.

Phyl said:
So you're saying that PA is saying (still following me?!) that the BK Mini 180 is as good as the 300-800g BM300 at half the price? Less a 15% PA discount that's a very desirable solution to needing a skimmer on a 180.
15% PA discount how!?

participate in the group buy in June....is "how". Free shipping plus the discount. Probably one of the best benefits of being a member. (Besides being able to say smug things on the members-only forum). LOL...i'm joking.

Hawkeye said:
participate in the group buy in June....is "how". Free shipping plus the discount. Probably one of the best benefits of being a member. (Besides being able to say smug things on the members-only forum). LOL...i'm joking.

Not likely to happen as some MOD will just delete edit your post ;D

Yes the Octopus extreme also is a great deal via the group buy. Pays for the membership in one purchase.

i know of a couple people using these skimmers. and they have nothing but great great reviews on them! they are very inexpensive, but work flawlessly!!! the company also has great customer service. the other forum im on, a guy had a part broken from shipping, he called them, and a real person answered! and without asking for the broken part in return, they shipped him out a new one overnight!!! i will most definetly be going with this skimmer!!! www.nuocean.com

i use a MSX250 from Marine Solutions with great results. This is on my 220 DT /75 Sump. it and the Octo's are pretty much the same but the MSX i think has the upper hand with a little different setup on the dual Sicce Pumps

www.marinesolutionsinc.com

Well premium aquatics suggests for my size system a Bubble king mini 160 which would be best or reef octopus which is also a great skimmer and good price. Octopus = 265.95 vs BK mini = 879.99 what a price jump on that deal! So when do you know that u need an octo. vs a near thousand dollar skimmer?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Or you could buy a used MRC3R. Great skimmer for a 250g system! ;D

Aceswild said:
Well premium aquatics suggests for my size system a Bubble king mini 160 which would be best or reef octopus which is also a great skimmer and good price. Octopus = 265.95 vs BK mini = 879.99 what a price jump on that deal! So when do you know that u need an octo. vs a near thousand dollar skimmer?
when money is no object or when you already have several thousand invested in the tank and want the best skimmer that money can buy!!

if you have room for an external, dont skimp, go etss or mrc, there are high dollar ones also but these two companies offer great skimmers at great prices, i curently run a mrc-3 on my 175, it is awsome, so if you can go external and dont skimp

i have been using the new marineland protien skimmer in my sump. works great and very quiet. very easy to adjust