• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

which skimmer

I am setting uup a 70 fal reef tank. I have a coralife 65 skimmer currently on my 20 gal system that I can use. I also have a classic red sea berlin skimmer with no pum. Which should I use and if it is the berlin would a mag 3 be enough?

Insert Quote
I am setting uup a 70 gal reef tank. I have a coralife 65 skimmer currently on my 20 gal system that I can use. I also have a classic red sea berlin skimmer with no pump. Which should I use and if it is the berlin would a mag 3 be enough?

I am trying to fit everything in a 20 high as a sump. I would also like to have a small refugium there also.
Do you think this could work?

I'm using a Tunze and have been very pleased with it. It costs a few extra $$ but is in my opinion worth it. You may want to consider a Tunze 9005. It's rated for up to 130g

What are the dimensions on your 70?

And, what are the dims under the stand?

Could you fit the 20 and a smaller tank for a fuge say a 5 to 10 g? If not, you just have to get real creative with the space and much will depend upon which skimmer you decide to use.

I am going to use my coralife for nowbecause the tank will be lightly stock through the next year.
I Have 36"x 18" in the bottom but there will be 1 1/2" posts in the corners. I am making a sump out of a 20 high. Just a simple design. The skimmper will hang on one side emptying into the filtersock with the drain. On the otherside will have a bulkhead with an external return pump. I will have my ATO on that side also.
In the open area in the sump will house my heater, and a phosphate reactor.

For a 70 g there are soooo many old school NW skimmers that would fit and just kick but. Search the for sale forums on this and other boards. A NW Euro Reef like and ES 5-2 or 5-3,would rock a 70, especially if you mesh mod the Sedra!

I used a ES 5-3 on my 75 g and it was a very good skimmer and fit well in the small available space.

reefsandrotts said:
Can't beat this for size and function have one on my 120 and it's great
http://www.superskimmer.com/SumpBuddy40.htm
is this skimmer very finicky and does it take a while to recover after feeding? I have a reef devil deluxe and tends to be very frustrating as it gets totally wiped out for hours after feeding or when i put my hands in the water.. I'm getting an Octopus extreme 250 in Janaury.