• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which T5 bulbs give corals best Flourescents?

I am looking for new bulbs for the new 265 and want ones that really will make the corals pop. I will be running alternating four 4' tubes and four 3' tubes to make up the 7' length of the tank.

Any suggestions?

Andy

I do want to get some of Wingo's LED lights. I didn't get a chance to talk to him at the swap. I just don't know what I'll need.

Andy

Andy,
I use both on the 120 actinic + and pure actinic front and back.

Giesemann Actinic + is the blue actinic 03 the giesemann pure actinic is a purple actinic 420nm, using both together will make all the colors pop.

Can't have the "pop" without the flourescent color, use Actinic 03. May I add after doing tons of reading that Procolor from ATI has a violet-like hue, which accentuates reddish colors providing contrast to all the blues and greens that normal flourescence has. This contrast will increase your "pop" ratio so it'll even look brighter than normal VS just using actinics.

Andy,

I wanted to show you some FTS with different combinations of T5s. And also, here are 2 links of folks who use T5s only. My personal favorite is this one:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-07/totm/index.php

Here's a link to Iwan's tanks.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=700454
http://www.hausriff.ch/4534/156972.html

The first picture is of my (ex) 75, in which I used 1 ProColor.
FTS6-23-08.jpg

The second picture is a FTS of my 180, with the original bulb configuration (but no ProColor)
IMG_1360-1.jpg

The day before yesterday I switched out a single lightbulb, as I was "trying" to get more of a 20K look. I exchanged a Giesemann Aqua Blue to yet another ATI Blue Plus. I also put the ATI Actinic 03 in the second slot (used to be in the first). I can't even begin to tell you what a HUGE difference this little exchange made. I am very pleased.
These two picture were taken moments ago (ISO speed 800)
FTSISO8002.jpg

FTSISO8001.jpg

Here with ISO speed 400
FTSISO4001.jpg

I'll wait and see how my corals do under the little switch. In the future I'm planning on removing the GE 6,500 and replacing it with the Korallenzucht (KZ) Fiji Purple.

HTH

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Here is from My 265 before i got the 4 Ice Cap retros. Now I'm using 2 4 footers and 2 3 footers. I love the colors.

Edward771 said:
New bulbs are here. I can't believe how amazing the few corals i have look under them. Sorry My pic taking skills are none exsistant.

1 39W and 1 54W ATI 1200K Aquablue Special
1 39W and 1 54W ATI Pro Color
2 39W and 2 54W ATI Blue Plus (Best Blue bulbs I've ever seen Blue Plus and Giesemann Actinic plus are every close to the same can't tell them apart)
1 39W and 1 54W Giesemann Actinic Plus
2 54W ATI UVL 1000k AquaSun.

100_0579.jpg

100_0580.jpg

100_0581.jpg

100_0582.jpg

100_0583.jpg