• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which tank to buy?

Re: new tank starting

Could we keep this to one Thread? The previous thread should be good enough for this question as well. or i take it you decided already on a size?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
fishboy12 said:
what filter combo is a good choice if i got a smaller tank. like a 30 or 24

I am sold on refugiums with protein skimmers. I believe canister filters (and other HOB fiber pad filters) are great for fresh water. For salt, they are nitrate factories that just fowl up your water. No matter what size tank (even nano guys use them), a refugium is the way to go...and for small tanks, they are HOB.

By the way, welcome to the NJRC forum!

Well let's start with a few questions? Why a 40G? Footprint is same on a 50 and a 65 if you are looking at 36" tanks. Remember the more volume the easier the tank actually is. Next question, what type of coral? Softies are very forgiving and can tolerate some "dirty" water. Some LPS and all SPS, the filtration is going to have to get better and flow will now become a big factor. The refugium serves a few things. Many people put mud/sand beds because they find it unsightly or pain to maintain in the display. Therefore the nitrifying bacteria reside down in this substrate. A lot of people will grow macroalgae in the fuge to reduce the nuisance algae in the display. The macro of choice these days is chaeto (in the past was caulerpa). Basically, grow it there, let it absorb nitrates, phosphates, etc. then trim and throw away. The refugium also houses critters that would not survive up in the display. Stuff like amphipods, copepods, etc. These will help filter the water or eat detritus and if they make it up to display, can serve as a snack for the fish. You can be more sophisticated and run different flow rate to the fuge and house other livestock that need different flow rate (ie seahorse). It can serve as a "jail" or pseudo quarantine area for fish/coral. I use it to troubleshoot why certain coral are not responding in the place I put it. My candy cane is down there recovering. I also am trying to get mushrooms to grip onto rubble rock. Sometimes I put a fish there to make sure he will eat prepared foods after a QT.

thanks but the 55 and 65 are too expensive. so thtas y im looking at the 40. i kinda want some bigger fish than clowns and gupies so i want a bigger tank still with many corals eventually.thats y im debating with the nano what is the biggest fish availible for a nano

A refugium is not necessary. Especially to start. You can always add one later
For sure good lighting (and that depends on what you want to keep)
A good protein skimmer - don't skimp on this item get the best you can afford.
You will likely want a sump of some type and therefore a return pump. You can keep your skimmer in the sump if you decide to go that route.
Some power heads and of course heaters.
I would also invest in an RO/DI unit but you could start out buying your water if need be.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
The forum is this site. Did you meet my wife Jen at the dentist yesterday? She was telling me that she was talking to someone who sounded just like you.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
ok so now you guys have to be nice to this guy. I have an 30 gallon cube and stand I could sell you cheap. And I'll sell you some rocks cheap too.

ok cool ill tell my mom to talk to jen wcause im probably gonna be there sometime next week. can u put any fish other than clowns and damsels in there

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
The first thing is start doing alot of reading. Jen said you have a book to read that is good. Second you need alot of patience. If you rush this you will kill all your fish and corals and waste your Moms money and your time.

You basiclly need live rocks and a light to get started. A good Protein Skimmer is key and you need RO-Di water to use. Once your tank cycles and all your water parameters are good. (find them in your book)

If you make it past the cycle and everything looks good. I will give you some corals.

sry i get xcited ha i have been reading alot in that book im really getting into it how longdoes it take to get it goin. and i heard yours is pretty sweet.

agree with ed.

If you can't make your own RODI - you'll have to rely on purchasing water from the LFS.

in terms of planning - fish wise I think a clown is neat and even better that you can get them captive/bred/tank raised.

Then depending on the size of the tank you might be able to add say a Royal Gramma - or better yet a small goby of some sort - perhaps even the pistol/goby combo.

I think a 24 gallon aquapod with the 150 halide is a good starting point . It is in your budget(around $350) and will be all new which is nice when your all new .(lol) That lighting setup will let you grow what you wish when your ready (sps,lps,clams). If you go on some of the nano forums you can see some amazing setups .
When just starting out I think it will be a benefit to get a all in one,almost leakproof and proven to work system . Buy new bagged live sand and some well used live rock . There will be basically no cycle time if both sand and rock are live . You will still have to wait for a mini cycle but it wont be all that bad .
I am still a fuge/skimmer person and you can probably shop around and get a used system for about that,maybe a bit more but it will be used .
Now for the fish . I would go with a few small fish than only one or two larger ones . A baby tang will only be good in a tank of your size wish for about a year and after that it will be cruel to keep it confined in such a small space. You can always sell/trade when it gets bigger if its a must have . You can also keep more fish if you perform more water changes and are diligent with your maintenance .
Lots of luck with your decision and keep asking questions before you make a decision ,this club is a great place to point you in the right direction .