• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which TDS Meter to buy

Is there a standard type/brand of TDS meter everyone uses.

What factors do I need to consider before purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Dave said:
Is there a standard type/brand of TDS meter everyone uses.

What factors do I need to consider before purchase?

Thanks in advance.

when i purchased the AWI typhoon3 - it comes with a free hand-held. Shoot me a pm - I could just lend you mine for a while.

Thanks for the input. Other than not having to look for your TDS meter, are there benefits to having an in line meter over a hand held? or vice versa.

Dave said:
Thanks for the input. Other than not having to look for your TDS meter, are there benefits to having an in line meter over a hand held? or vice versa.

I got mine from TB Aquatics for $19.95 http://www.tbaquatics.com/shop/tds-4tm-hm-digital-handheld-tds-meter-318.html

I think the benefits of having the handheld instead of the in line are great. I brought mine to work to test the tap and drinking water. Also, if you have friends with tanks, it helps them out as well until they get one.

The benefit of an INLINE TDS meter or 2 with your RODI unit is so you can see what the tds is before and after your membrane/filtration: This way you do not have to test it by hand in the bucket like those of us who BUY distilled water in gallon jugs. If you have an RODI unit you might as well get a TDS meter for that. It is nice to have one that is stand alone as well, just in case you feel you are getting a false reading on the INLINE meter.

Some people like the inline meters, like the DM1
dm1_web.jpg

or the DM2
dm2.jpg

The best feature of the inline meters is convenience.

If precision is what you are looking for, or the ability to read TDS in more than two locations (feedwater, RO water, DI water), then you might want to go for a handheld like the TDS3
TDS3.jpg

or the COM-100
com100.jpg

Russ

Thanks all. I opted to purchase the TDS-4TM HM Digital Handheld TDS Meter.

Ability to test in multiple locations, sources was part of my decision behind opting for the handheld meter.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Dave said:
Thanks all. I opted to purchase the TDS-4TM HM Digital Handheld TDS Meter.

Ability to test in multiple locations, sources was part of my decision behind opting for the handheld meter.

Dave

When you do test with the handheld make sure your testing out of a glass container, plastic can skew the TDS numbers higher.

Bob

[/quote]

Dave

When you do test with the handheld make sure your testing out of a glass container, plastic can skew the TDS numbers higher.

Bob
[/quote]

Really, I never heard that before. Good info, thanks!

magic said:
Dave

Bob

Thanks for the tip. I was testing out of a plastic container. I will change that practice.