• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

White spots all over tank

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I have been noticing more and more white spots all over my rockwork ,frag plugs, and my clam shell too. They do not appear to move and I was thinking along the line of eggs of some kind? They are almost flat and slightly smaller than a match head round.

I know it is hard to ID off of a simple description, but any thoughts on what I can search for. I guess I'll have to go try to get pics. I am getting a little nervous that if these things are bad, they will be in plague proportions in no time :-\

Taz

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry, needed to take pics and learn how to downsize and post them.
Here they are, hope all works and not too blurry

434_28_03_09_11_00_48_1.JPG

434_28_03_09_11_00_47_0.JPG

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Whitebird1 said:
??? WOW! Never seen that before! Good Luck
GregH

Thanks, I sure hope it is nothing bad, I just realized that the clam didn't have a speck on it 1 month ago. I just found and older pic and it was clean.

If it isn't one thing it is another. Everytime I look close in the tank I find something new. Pretty amazing

they appear to be nerite snail eggs...you have any of those snails?

here's an old pic of my nerites a few years back:
IMG_0392.jpg

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
After reading Phil's reply, I looked up nerite eggs on the net and sure enough that is what they are. It is very rare for them to make it, but occasionally one or 2 might. Good thing, the tank would be ovrrun if they all made it! Pretty interesting, 8+ years in the hobby and never saw any before.

Oh and by the way...Taken straight from the web.....Unlike many snails that spawn by releasing gametes into the water, Nerites reproduce by having sex! The male has a penis and the female has an organ to store sperm. The eggs are laid in small white capsules....http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2003/invert.htm

Taz