• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

whitening of Milli

Guys, I have a pink milli that's nice and fuzzy, and has good color on the coralites, "but areas near the base" seem to be loosing the pink color but still maintain the fuzziness.

Have any of you experienced this?

The colony seems to be in good health but it seems to be spreading from the nodes outward toward the tips.

Let me know...

Erik

What are your current parameters, also what light are you running? A little more info on tank is needed. also is the part of the coral that is loosing color a part of the coral that is not getting any light?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I don't mean to scare you but I just lost a colony and almost lost a seond one to somthing like this. It starts to bleach at the base, even though the tips stay fully extended until that whole branch is bleached out and then it spreads. One colony we really did not like so we just threw it out, but it started happening to our ORA birdsnest we have had for a while and that got us upset. I did a couple furan 2 dips and the bleaching stopped. We lost like one branch, but the rest of the colony is fine. The other thing to do it cut a frag off just in case.

This was my situation, and yours might just be it is not getting enough/too much light. A furan 2 dip won't hurt the coral at all and is a good precaution.

When in doubt water change the system as much as possible using clean RO/DI water with no TDS and use a quality salt that has no nitrates. Make sure u age the new salt water at least a day. Good Luck