• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Who would buy ?

I'm not sure where to post this I'll just post here . If a company made a surge protector made for aquarium use would you buy ? I was thinking of designing something made for saltwater tanks that give people a piece of mind that what they were using was safe . Any feedback would help

I have been looking for surge protection outlets that are safe. Even the high end ones say not for aquarium use. It will be a price point issue for most buyers.

Also remember the liability. If you state something is safe and its not, the lawyers will be all over you like bubble algae... In fact even if its safe some one will sue you.

Heck yes, I am sure most of us would. Even better would be one with a timer. I would just be careful with what Mark said.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I have been looking for surge protection outlets that are safe. Even the high end ones say not for aquarium use. It will be a price point issue for most buyers.

Also remember the liability. If you state something is safe and its not, the lawyers will be all over you like bubble algae... In fact even if its safe some one will sue you.

I believe the biggest issue would be the liability standpoint like Mark said. I'm sure most of the better quality surge protectors out there can handle our reefing equipment just fine. It really is the matter of water/saltwater and electricity not being a good mix. Companies add that "Not For Aquarium Use" for this reason exactly, they do not want to get sued.

But by all means, if you can design a surge protector that can withstand moisture/salt creep. I am all for it!

I know that's a down side bc people are very sue happy just to get something for free instead of taking responsibility for their own faults . It would take the backing of a company, but other things is if has to be UL approved to sell

I just think our market doesn't sell one cause things corrode then fail also if someone over loads it then you have a fire hazard

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, first off, I agree that in truth you can't claim that you designed one that is "safe for aquarium use"... due to the simple fact that water + electricity = trouble. I have seen one that claims to work even if the outlet strip gets wet... but I've also heard good and bad reviews about it too.

Here's a link to the mfr's website if you want to see what I mean: http://www.wetcircuits.com/ Google that brand for reviews and whatnot and you will see why I'm not convinced either way.

Now, even though you can't (or shouldn't) claim it's safe ... that doesn't mean you can't try to make one that will last longer or just be a better option in general for an aquarium environment.

If I were able to design one (which I'm not) here are a few things that I think would help make it better for aqariums:

1. Switched outlets (as Earl suggested) - The "DJ" power strips with a button switch for each outlet are probably the most preferred. Being able to have something plugged in all the time and just hit a switch or button to turn it on/off without having to plug in/out all the time is a great feature.

2. Corrosion/Water resistance - Obviously one of the biggest issues with most power strips is the corrosion they get from being around the saltwater and moisture in general. So, any way to improve this is a good thing. Maybe make it from high quality plastic or make sure any metals are powder coated epoxy? No idea about protecting the electrical components, but making it waterproof (like the one in my link claims) or at least able to withstand constant moisture, saltkreep, and maybe even an occasional splash is the ultimate goal.

3. Battery backup - Most of us have power strips because we have so many different pieces of equipment to run our tanks. Also, most of us fear the day the power goes out and our tank is helpless without a backup or a generator. So, it would be great if a strip came with a battery backup feature included... even if it was only strong enough to run a couple outlets for a few hours after a power failure. If it could only keep 2 charged, we could at least put our heater(s) and/or return pump on those UPC slots and feel confident the basics would still be covered for a short outage.

4. Surge protector - Pretty standard and probably at the top of most peoples' list since all of our equipment is expensive and needs protecting. Maybe you could make it even more technical and have different outlets rated at different amps/watts? (And clearly label those on the strip)

5. Labeling system - Many of us are organization freaks! How about including a way to label what each outlet and/or switch are powering? A programmable digital display would be super fancy, but it could also be something as simple as a plastic covered "slot" that we could slide a written label into. I use those self stick label makers for mine, but after a while, the adhesive wears off (maybe from the moisture?) and I have to replace them every once in a while. But, a nice lil slot to drop/slide a label into would guarantee it won't fall off.

That's about all I have for now, I'll add more if I think of them later.