• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

why are my corals slowly withering away ?

6mo old breeder tank with big sump and all the params in check.
Think maybe its underfeeding or over filtering. I feed just frozen and stepped it up a lot recently but still no trace of NO3 PO4. Current setup drains straight into my skimmer outputs into a sock.
Wonder if I should go without the skimmer or sock to dirty up the water a bit.
Running a high flow fuge as well that's seeing good macro growth. Was running a scrubber as well but shut off a while ago due to lack of production.

How many fish? What kind of corals are in there? Have you double checked that your test kits are right? Could be an inaccurate test throwing you off

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just the usual suspects; couple clowns, pj cardinal, firefish, watcher&pistol and a cleaner shrimp and emerald crab. The crab is a recent addition so he is not a suspect. I just switched test kits same result. I did just realize and fix a temp swing problem in the past couple weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
What corals do you have? Are you using RODI water? What are you water test results?

Yes using water. I’m dosing to keep 1350Mg 450Ca and 9-10KH. The softies have done fine, healthy with some growth. GSP, Xenia, pompoms, gorgonian. The stuff like galaxia trumpet and Duncan started well and faded over a few months. I do have one favia that is up high that is so far no worse for wear, but no larger either. Could be the par too I suppose

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
@Jim Your Phosphates and nitrates are zero?

And you should give information about your tank..
What size, whats in it, how long its been setup,etc...,etc... etc..

And you should give information about your tank..
What size, whats in it, how long its been setup,etc...,etc... etc..

I guess I was a little piecemeal with the info; its 40G DT running for 6 months with a basement sump that also ports in and out of a 10G frag tank. TWV is ~65G.
Skimmer, filter sock, fuge, carbon reactor and small UV. Used all reefrock, and some marinepure
No3 and PO4 have been at 0 since the cycle, maybe thats partly bc of the type of rock.
Been feeding frozen shrimp & larvae 4-5x per week adding reef roids every other. lights are (2) kessil a360's

Try feeding some flakes and dose some KNO3, run your skimmer only at night when your DT lights are off.

yea I thinking along those lines. Probably hold off on the dosing. I don't have a lot in the DT at risk currently. Just want to see some better results before I load up.

5G once a week
I'd try a 5g once a month

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I agree with the posts above. You need yo relax on your water changes and let your tank dirty up. I think the gold point for NO3 is between 15-30ppm. Sometimes even up to 40ppm. Feed more too. Your fish may not be doing enough to keep your tank dirty depending on what kind of filtration you're working with. I suggest these things cause I have around the same set up and my corals are looking healthy!

sounds like a pretty good consensus. I'll make some changes to dirty it up and report back. I guess a can add a fish as well