• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Why do our tanks fail?

With the recent heart crushing event that Sunny had to endure as well as my experience with two tanks of my own having seams fail...what does everyone think is behind the failure of tank seams? Is it just that saltwater is so corrosive that it kills the silicone over time? Are manufacturers not using the best bonding silicone available? Is it chemicals we add to our tanks? What does everyone think?

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I don't know if the silicone they are using now is to blame...I hope not! I know an uneven tank and also scraping the seam with a razor doesn't help. I would think one would see the seam starting to peel away before it starts leaking. What a scary thing to happen. I hope I never do.

<iframe width="425" height="350" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I read a thread on R2r where a member had a marineland 300 gal that sprung a leak in the seams....

I think it has to do with the quality of the build....I think certain manufacturers use lesser grade materials to keep the cost down to give then higher turnovers....and faster build times <~~IMO

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Good topic. I as well wonder if it just cutting cost to pad bottom lines or is there stuff we are adding to our tanks that weakening the seams. I am inclined to believe its cutting cost and not what being added. I have no data to back my claim but I am seeing more and more stuff being built cheaper so I am applying that to tanks as well.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Could be a combination of a the things mentioned above. You see this happening more in the "mass produced" tanks. More tanks means less oversight and quality control. Another thing I believe may be a factor is the relatively "new" practice of heavy flow. Today's flow rates are much more than in years past and maybe the tank manufacturers haven't changed their process to compensate for this. Also the flow now is rarely constant. Almost all who run powerheads either have them on a wave maker (simple on off) or with the higher tech powerheads complex wave patterns. I have no proof of this just a thought.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I didn't see anyone mention the age of their tank. I have a 150 gallon tank. The bottom seam started dripping 2 weeks ago. Two days later, 150 gallons of water on the floor. How long do we expect seals on our tanks to last on a big tank with 1200 lbs of water and another 200 lbs of rock? And this is only a 150 gallon tank. Twice that much weight in a 300 gallon. Then add in age factor. And add scraping the glass with a razor and hitting the seam. Plus all pumping power heads like Kevin said. Just how long can silicone hold up under these conditions? Not a manufacturer defect. My tank was 5 years old.

radiata

NJRC Member
I have trouble buying the argument that silicone fails in a well built tank. I have a 90 and a 65 (both O'Dells) that have been holding water for close to 40 years. However, "bad" batches of silicone have been manufactured. O'Dell went out of business because of a bad batch that caused all the tanks made with that batch to fail.

Perhaps a solution for a larger tank is to get Feng to build it for you.

There actually is (at least) one critter that can cause leaks - one of these days I'll get around to writing my article about the dreaded Andromeda Worm...