• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Why do so many people leave the hobby?

Paul B

NJRC Member
Why do so many people get out of the hobby?
This hobby has been around for 44 years and yet you can count the number of tanks that are at least 20 years old on one hand. OK, maybe two, I didn't really count, but work with me. The vast majority of threads are very new tanks and the second largest number of threads besides disease threads is "Getting out of the hobby, everything for sale" threads. Why is that?
I think I know. It takes a special (weird) type of person to keep at this for a large number of years. By that I mean a person with more varied interests than just keeping some beautiful fish alive. When I started, me and Moses would sit and watch our guppies. After we managed to keep the fish alive we got so excited to see them spawn. Then we would sit up all night with an eye dropper so we could feed each one individually and watch it grow. We were horrified when one (or most of them) died. And they were guppies. Then when we were proficient with breeding different strains of guppies to get different colors we tried mollies, then swordtails and any livebearers we could get our hands on. But that got boring and we needed more of a challenge. There were so many fish to choose from. We had kissing gourami’s, angelfish, discus, zebra’s and bettas with their very cool bubble nests. We did this for years until that was so easy that we did not get excited when our fish spawned. Not being exciting is death to a hobby and we almost went on to other endeavors like trying to guess the phone numbers of Supermodels. But wait. Something happened just in the nick of time that kept us in the hobby.
Someone imported salt water fish into the US. I don't remember who that was but whoever he was, it kept my interest because now I no longer needed to watch my freshwater fish spawn as that was boring because everyone was able to do it. If anyone can do it, it isn't as much fun because we couldn't brag about our success and get fish Geek points. The thrill was gone.
But saltwater fish opened up an entirely new field that no one knew anything about. If a store sold salt water fish they had a huge sign in their window proclaiming that they had salt water fish. That usually meant they had a 5 gallon tank with three, ich infested blue devils and a depressed domino with a social disease on his way to having last rites. But those damsels were so fascinating because now, we again had bragging rites and although we were not very good at keeping these guys alive, no one else could either. Eventually our damsels spawned for us and we were again able to get out the eye dropper and stay up late at night feeding them one at a time. The thrill was back. Much of the thrill was that there was virtually no information available about these things, I mean none, and computers were not invented yet so every day that we kept a damsel alive was a thrill, sort of like bungee jumping but different. I really miss those days as now it is simple to keep most fish alive and to kill a damsel you need to lay it in the street and have a 1957 Chevy Malibu run over it, twice.
Now with the internet and advice coming from every little village on earth there is very little thrill at all. If you need to know something all you do is Google it and an entire plethora of information is at your fingertips. Of course almost all of it is wrong based on rumor, conjecture, supposition, guesswork, innuendos, and drug induced rantings by someone who started a tank last Tuesday and now is the resident expert.
I myself have been doing this a while so I know better on a few things but I can see how it can be overwhelming. I read so many things that I am so opposed to that it drives me nuts so I limit my posts on almost all forums now because of the arguments. Of course I am also old and opinionated so I guess I also am easy to argue with. My old school theories are debunked by young college grads with all sorts of book learning and a cell phone with a google app ready to find something to disagree with. That is fine and is the way of the world. But I think the main reason so many people drop out is that most of the thrill is gone. Almost every fish that can be kept, is kept. We can now keep fish for their entire normal lifespan with no problems.
Thank God for corals. Those gems are still a source of wonder as there are so many types with different needs and so many opinions as to their care. How much light? How much current? Do they need to be fed? What is the best temperature and salinity? How much nitrate can they handle and how much do they need, if any? Would a Supermodel be able to successfully keep a coral? No one really knows so the hobby has hope.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Some people just jump in and realize it's not for them, i think a lot of people get bad advice from the stores, and after a bunch of aggravation and the wrong information, they give up.

i think a lot of it is frustration. idk about you, but with me its always something. within the past year: my tank leaked, my main pump failed, and failed again, my chiller got stuck in the on position (tank got down into the 60s), my doser dumped both 2 part solutions in and gave me a snowstorm, i had a bad batch of salt and went a long time without figuring it out (lost half the corals to that), and i had to move the tank to a new building twice. any one would give me the knee jerk reaction of maybe i should take a break.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I think if there were no problems it wouldn't interest me and we would call it stamp collecting. :dance:

It's funny. I just read an article on Coral restoration. Not Ken Nedimyer (Coral Restoration Foundation) but a woman (name eludes me- getting old) who was studying what bacteria are most abundant in places where coral replanting has been most successful. She is showing how bacteria play an important role in the success of coral restoration and regrowth. Got me thinking about our tanks... Anyway it is just another element that keeps me interested.

It's funny. I just read an article on Coral restoration. Not Ken Nedimyer (Coral Restoration Foundation) but a woman (name eludes me- getting old) who was studying what bacteria are most abundant in places where coral replanting has been most successful. She is showing how bacteria play an important role in the success of coral restoration and regrowth. Got me thinking about our tanks... Anyway it is just another element that keeps me interested.
Long known to be the basis of every environment, and we've known for a decade who most animals have more bacterial cells than their own (by number, not mass, your cells are much much bigger). But they always get overlooked in the hobby just because we have no way of understanding which ones we've got and how many. But that's why I adopted the policy of several people I've spoken to: add a bit of live culture every now and then (preferably different brands) to keep your colonies diverse and resilient.

very cool!
I had asked Ken if I could bail on my family in November (we were at Disney) to man the booth at a big dive show in Orlando. I hate the Magic Kingdom and would have oh so much rather been planting coral!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Speaking for some who just got out after being extremely active in the hobby for more than a decade, I feel like I just burned out. For the first few years, it was a lot of fun. I kept building onto my system and created a great reef. When people would say "oh isn't that a lot of work"? My response would be "Yes it takes a lot of time but I don't consider it work". After completely dedicating my personal life (and family) to the hobby for several years, the thrill and newness wore off and it started to become "work". Unfortunately, the prospect of having to breakdown the system also seemed like a lot of work so my tank sat stagnate for a year or so. I'd feed the fish but that was about it. Once all the corals died off, I lost all interest. If it weren't for my return pump failing, I'd probably still be limping along. All of the fish are gone but the box of water is still in my living (with a Tunze and heater to keep the rock from stinking up the jpoint). After New Years, we'll make the last push to shut it down completely and rid my house of 12 years worth of tanks and equipment.

I have been in the hobby for 35 years. First few years it was freshwater, and then saltwater, and the reef. I started with a saltwater tank with a under gravel filter. How innocent I was.

I think circumstances cause some to drop out, moving, financial, storm, frustration etc. I do believe LOTS of people don't have patience. As most of us have seen that Ultra beautiful tank, and aspire to that vision. The uninformed don't understand what it takes to get to the vision. Most of us don't get to that vision, but, understand we are working to that goal. These are the people who get out, back in, back out, and back in again, are truly trying to get to that vision in their mind, understanding it takes time and money.

Those who start up a tank for 6 months and get out are sold the dream, and think it can be achieved in a short period of time. The Nemo movie helped the hobby, but ultimately, hurt. Parents bought a glass bowl, put a saltwater clown in it, only to see it die demonstrates the lack of understanding of the saltwater/reefing hobby, but ultimately form the negative opinion about our hobby. Many more buy into the equipment process and there too expect for the bucks spent... I expect results.

Those who then are willing to research issues, and find guidance in reefing websites, are frustrated by the conflicting opinions.

But then there are the few, who continue on and on and on.

Taking a break is not the issue, frustration is rampant in the hobby, a break is sometimes needed, that just means you need to reset, you will come back. However, I believe, a large percentage of those who get into this hobby without understanding the journey they are embarking upon are dropping out at a high number. LFS are business's that are in business to make money and sell the dream. Their intentions are good, get the right products, equipment, start slow, but ultimately have customers who tell the LFS, oh yeah, I understand, the LFS sells the expensive equipment and the customer doesn't get the desired results, ultimately then sells on whatever sight, here craigslist etc. If you look at what some folks want for equipment, you can immediately see they paid an exorbitant amount for their tank/skimmer/chemicals and want to recoup what they spent by stating, it cost 2500.00 new 6 months ago and now I want 2000.00.

There are a multitude of reasons why so many leave. I believe enforcing a realistic expectation might force some to not get into the hobby, but those that understand this journey will get into the hobby for the right reason and will stay in for a much longer period of time.

I have had fish for 40+ years. I have not really thought about ever getting out. So for me it is strange to see people come and go. Minus a few years in college I have always had fish. Two of three tanks have fish spawning and all is pretty good...some general upkeep but no real hard work. My son's tank drives me nuts and is more work than the other two ... and it is the smallest and simplest. Sorry to see some folks get out (John), but most that get out never really commit to it. I think it is like a marriage if you make it 7 years you are like to stay in.

After my tank broke catastrophically, I thought of getting out. That lasted about six weeks. Seems like a lot of work sometimes, but it leaves a void if it is not there.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have had fresh water fish since I was a kid and started a salt tank 15 years ago, fish only. I didn't have a tank all the time as life gets in the way. I am back in the hobby as of this summer after a 3 year hiatus. Its a much smaller tank but easier to manage for me.

Last edited: