• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Will corals merge?

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ok, now don't laugh if this boarder on a stupid one but.....

I have 2 small pieces of Orange Monti, if I place them right next to each other touching will they merge and group into 1 larger piece.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They will coexist, and grow around each other. I don't know that they will "merge" necessarily (were they from the same exact species, etc), but they will grow around each other. Same if you put digi into the mix. The monti species will all intergrow.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I guess it's not too suprising but I've had frags from the exact same colony merge.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They do tend to grow nicely around each other though in a very cool looking teir. We have ours stacked now (hopefully) in order of speed of growth. Purple at the top, green at the bottom and a red/orange in the middle.

Phyl said:
They do tend to grow nicely around each other though in a very cool looking teir. We have ours stacked now (hopefully) in order of speed of growth. Purple at the top, green at the bottom and a red/orange in the middle.

that sounds realy cool. do you have any pics?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They're just starting to mingle and I'll have to take a top down to show that, but here's a picture in the mean time:

dsc_2330.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks, Mike! Unfortunately it isn't my idea. I've seen similar layering in Hef's tank as well as Merv's, among many others, I believe. I'll continue to surround the area with similar colors.

I tried layering them in order of fastest growing going up, with green being the fastest and the purple being the slowest. The orange that I have is different than regular orange cap. More of a red and very slow grower. If that green cap with orange polyps from Ricky fins ever takes off that will find a home there too!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The very bottom front (actually brown & yellow) is a scroll coral. To the right of that is an oxypora (orange with green rings around the mouth). My green cap with purple rim tops that. Stacking the pile with Orange, purple and green with brown polyp confusa.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We shattered a beautiful colony last night moving things around, so we have a bazillion frags of the purple rim :'(, and one nice sized colony starter (frolony). And two nice frags of scroll. Of course we're pretty far south (Jackson).

hey phyl, i would like to purchase that scroll frolony frag. (you are too cool, :)frolony) i am down in Hamilton which is pretty close to you. i can drop by tues after work if you are still interested.
r