• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Woke up to a full sump...

Woke up and found out my return pump died which is extremely.weird considering I was looking at some just for the hell of it last night. Anyway are there any suggestions on one to get that is cheapish? I have enough flow with my mp40 looking for reliable and I need it today. Was probably going to go to aquarium center

Sucks about the pump. I'm using a rio hyperflow 32 on mine, I love it. Plenty of flow to handle everything I throw at it. I would check them out. I know hidden reef has some of them just not sure which model. The pump I used before that was a deep blue triton 4. That was also a nice pump. Only reason I got another was that I needed more flow to run everthing on a manifold. Both of those pumps are pretty cheap also when compared to the mag's and eheim's of the world.

I have the Danner mag drive pump (the 12), been working great. Been looking at a third one for my reactors and soon to be purchased chiller.

By cheap I meant not a mag. I can't do.thqt right now but thanks guys I'll see what aquarium center has. If nothing good then I'll head to the reef. My tank is about 3 inches drained and the heater is just sitting in the tank. Needless to say, I need this pump today

falconut

NJRC Member
I always thought the Mag Drives were the cheap/reliable pumps. They're what I've been using (Mag 18 & 9.5) and they are great. Not sure what other pumps cost less and are reliable. Good luck.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What kind of pump are you currently running? Did you take it apart and figure out why it crapped out? It might just need a cleaning or a snail might have clogged it up. I know the first time I cleaned my return (MAG 9.5), I was shocked that it was still running. The magnet and impeller were totally all slimmed up.

Even though they are energy hogs, you can’t beat a MAG for reliability.

I.didnt have time as I had to leave for my class but I planned on taking it apart first. It's just a rio 1700. I got it for free when hh_reefer helped.with my sump.

Kyle there is nothing cheap at AC do yourself a favor and spent the extra money and get a mag and your worries are over.

I agree.... Mag Drives have never let me down, I have always had two Mag Drive 5's running my return and they have not let me down in 8-years, yes, i've had to replace the impeller once on each pump but at different times. one was at 4years and the other was at 5years, I always keep one impeller on hand, and have never lost return flow.

I always suggest taking your desired return flow in gallons and cutting it in half, then get two pumps for return as apposed to one, this way if a pump dies you still have half flow until you can get a replacement.

Our livestock cost's too much to depend on one pump.

-Alex

If your tight for cash, See if another member close by can lend you a pump until you get the cash or order online. I would check my junk box for a spare pump to lend you but i'm at work and you probably want one connected within a couple of hours.

Not sure what kind of lights you have, if there MH's make sure they dont shoot the tank temp up.

knockout

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
We install mag drives on all our customer setups, very reliable and under $100 bucks, Mag 5/7 should do the job on that 40 breeder

You guys are all awesome. Don't know what id do without the club. I will check a few local places for a mag. If I can't find one maybe I will buy a cheap one from work and order a mag then return the cheapy or borrow one from somebody. I'm running leds so no heat issue there. Anyone close to 08106 in case I need to borrow/buy?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I have a 7 you can borrow if needed. I'm in brigantine 08203

The typical problem with the rio 1700 is that the ceramic shaft breaks or the hole in the magnet gets egg shaped. They use very little power but need to be cleaned frequently and have the impeller replaced every two years or so. I always keep an extra impeller or two on hand. I get them from that pet place. I do have one on hand but its for the 2100 not sure it will fit the 1700 but your welcome to give it a try.

you guys are all awesome. Don't know what id do without the club. I will check a few local places for a mag. If i can't find one maybe i will buy a cheap one from work and order a mag then return the cheapy or borrow one from somebody. I'm running leds so no heat issue there. Anyone close to 08106 in case i need to borrow/buy?

08060 exit 45 off 295

The typical problem with the rio 1700 is that the ceramic shaft breaks or the hole in the magnet gets egg shaped. They use very little power but need to be cleaned frequently and have the impeller replaced every two years or so. I always keep an extra impeller or two on hand. I get them from that pet place. I do have one on hand but its for the 2100 not sure it will fit the 1700 but your welcome to give it a try.

I will see what's up with mine but thanks. It sure hasn't been cleaned for months. Is this a common issue with all rios or just the 1700

I will see what's up with mine but thanks. It sure hasn't been cleaned for months. Is this a common issue with all rios or just the 1700
Seems like the issues are with all of the rios in that series. I used a 1700 for 5 years in my sump but now using it as a water change pump. Unfortunately I dont have any impellers left for it.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I may have my spare 9.5 you could borrow - I'm pretty close - in Moorestown. I have to swap the impeller and I ordered a new one a while back when it went and I swapped it out for the spare. I just never got around to changing it - I have to find the new impeller. I also have a 24 that I planned to upgrade to soon - it's used and I haven't tested it yet - if a jam you could use that but it will move a LOT of water compared to the 1700. For either you may need to change some of your plumbing to tie in with which ever temporary pump you go with