• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

World Ocean Day at Adventure Aquarium June 8, 2010

vangvace said:
Nothing like the last minute eh? :p

zoiks...point taken! ::)

At least I gave you a full SUNDAY to think it over. ;D

Seriously though - there's a link on the front home page. Been there for a while...lemme go get it...

This is a link from Adventure Aquarium:

WORLD OCEANS DAY
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Join the cast and crew at Adventure Aquarium for a World Ocean's Day celebration like no other! With scores of area conservationists, a presentation by the Aquarium's seals, and the chance to take the World Ocean's Day pledge, guests are sure to have a blast while learning about the many ways they can make a positive change to the environment to start a legacy of ocean protection.

A very special thanks to the following exhibitors for their participation in Adventure Aquarium's World Oceans Day Celebration:

*AmeriCorps VISTA (Water Protection Division) *Atlantic County Utilities Authority *Richard Stockton College Coastal Research Center *Jacques Cousteau National Estuarine Research Reserve *Marine Mammal Stranding Center *New Jersey Academy for Aquatic Sciences *New Jersey Reefers Club *New Jersey Watershed Ambassadors Program *Pinelands Preservation Alliance *Pompeston Creek Watershed Association *Shark Savers

wod_logoblock.gif

Nothing like the last minute eh?

In all honesty Mike, Phil, and Barry have been working on this for a while. Even I had some misconceptions it is a members event, so if you are a member you are in. Hawkeye's baby clowns are making the trip again as our ambassadors to the world.

uh i'm not going to take credit here. Like the LSC, I was asked to volunteer, I took a day off and am going. All the heavy lifting was done by others. I will take credit for bringing the clowns though. ;D

Hawkeye said:
vangvace said:

Seriously though - there's a link on the front home page. Been there for a while...lemme go get it...

jeez, I was just messing with ya. ;D I saw the link on the homepage about a week ago and was really excited until I remembered that I would need to bring a 2 year old.

vangvace said:
Hawkeye said:
vangvace said:

jeez, I was just messing with ya. ;D I saw the link on the homepage about a week ago and was really excited until I remembered that I would need to bring a 2 year old.
LMAO - hey I'm a mod - i have to get the guard up to make sure someone isn't going to whack me. ;)

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Thank you guys for making this happen. We are smack in the middle of connecting Tommy Hilfiger's email system to my companies or I would be there with you.

Edwardw771 said:
Thank you guys for making this happen. We are smack in the middle of connecting Tommy Hilfiger's email system to my companies or I would be there with you.

"Tommy can you hear me" lol sorry shows my age :)

MBodell told me about this months ago but I didn't do anything for it here in Cen.PA.... Have a wonderful day. So nice to see the club participating in so many worthwhile conservation efforts!!!!

YEAH NJRC! \o/
|
/ \

Thanks to Mike and Hawk this event will go on, I found out last week i have to be in San Diego on Tues and Wednesday for work. This event is a great chance to reach out to hundreds of families about how to keep a home aquarium and be responsible. There are schools there that day and families.

Breaking News

I spoke to Mike and now everyone can know. The Seasmart Program, which is a sustainable equitable and affordable program that teaches the people of PAPAU New Guinea how to keep the reefs sustainable by teaching fishers to use good practices for collection. They have also offered to speak at a club meeting about this program. They have also provided us with flyers to hand out about the program. They are helping us get the word out as well. They are not an official sponsor of out booth or display but we support their efforts to keep the reefs alive.

GET THIS - You can go on vacation collect your own fish and have them shipped home!!!!!!

www.ecoez.com
www.seasmart.ecoez.com

If anyone can meet me at a fish store today(aq ob or OCG) i can hand off the flyers.

radiata said:
Where/what is Adventure Aquarium?

It is a for-profit organization that took over the state-run Camden Aquarium (i think it was state run, and non-for-profit before).

here's the wiki link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Aquarium

I remember when I visited it when it first opened. What a dump back then. They wanted to only "showcase" local fish. Do you realize how dull porgys, fluke, striped bass are in a big tank?

Anyways - it's a lot more interesting now. I saw Mike Rowe / Dirty Jobs there (on tv, not actually there myself) and he was cleaning the hippo poo.....LOL. That was NASTY!

http://www.adventureaquarium.com/

Yes Phil, it used to be state-run and non-profit before. The land still belongs to the state which is why you see state troopers walking the grounds.

Also, those working there that aren't selling you something or holding a walkie-talkie are likely volunteers with the NJ Academy for Aquatic Sciences. These volunteers do a fair amount of the education and daily maintenance on the exhibits freeing the biologists to focus on the animals health, welfare, and research.