• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wow.. goby survived in overflow.

kevin

NJRC Member
so.. i have 2 pipes going into my sump. One is capped off but has tiny little holes for the water to go through. I cut the end off it today because I just wanted more flow into the sump.. to my surprise I found my randells goby that went missing at LEAST 4-5months ago. He's a tiny smaller, but seems okay. I tried to feed him, but hes probably still in shock. I just cant believe it.

should i return him to the DT or leave him in the sump for now?

We have a redheaded goby that lives in our overflow in the 80g frag tank. He got in there in December (we were on vacation), and seems to be fine in there. I can't get him out easily, so I consider it his new home.

kevin

NJRC Member
We have a redheaded goby that lives in our overflow in the 80g frag tank. He got in there in December (we were on vacation), and seems to be fine in there. I can't get him out easily, so I consider it his new home.

I've been getting weird sounds from my overflow lately. It only last for a minute or so & it'll repeat a little while later. I thought to cut the pipe so water can flow more freely.. maybe something is clogged. I'm still looking into it.. but was surprised to find the goby & it being still alive.

Should I transfer him to the DT? or wait a little while.

I have 2 pink spots and the more dominate one always chases the week one into my overflow were he had lived for weeks at a time I have rescued him 4 times putting him back in the display.. But he always seems to find his way back . I figure he likes it better in the overflow cause he gets fed and doesn't have to fight for food.. Yours will be fine if you put him back. Just watch to see if he is getting beat up by someone I the tank or he just got sucked into overflow by mistake...

kevin

NJRC Member
I have 2 pink spots and the more dominate one always chases the week one into my overflow were he had lived for weeks at a time I have rescued him 4 times putting him back in the display.. But he always seems to find his way back . I figure he likes it better in the overflow cause he gets fed and doesn't have to fight for food.. Yours will be fine if you put him back. Just watch to see if he is getting beat up by someone I the tank or he just got sucked into overflow by mistake...

I'm sure my dottyback is not going to like the tiny guy, lol. I'll add him after the fish are fed & lights are going out.

kevin

NJRC Member
He's back in the DT. The fish aren't bothering him... just checking him out. He's definitely very weak. Hopefully he'll have a nice recovery

kevin

NJRC Member
crap. should of let him in the sump. I didn't think the snails/crabs would go after him. RIP.. I tried to get to him.. but he fell between the rocks

I had a watchman goby that lived in in my overflow for weeks. I think he liked, he got left overs and never had to work for it.. I got him out eventually took a long time. Sorry for the loss!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
I have a diamond gobie I found in my macro section of my refugium just before I left. i got him to sift the sand a bit to help it look cleaner but never saw him and figured he was a gonner. Well i was wrong, He got into main tank overflow, past the inlet guard,down piping and into filter sock. From there he had to wiggle past the filter floss at the top of my sock to get into the first chamber of the sump, through a bubble weir and home sweet home in the macro section with all the sand. As I saw what he went through all I could thing of was the escape in the movie Shawshank redemption. Wow.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Kevin, sorry for your loss, especially after the apparent "rescue". :sorrow:

I had a very similar experience as Pete (zippy) with my neon dottyback...

Went on vacation and came home to find he was "missing". Thought he was dead but never found him. Fast forward about 2 months and when I went to trim my chaeto in my fuge, I saw him swimming in there. So, he got into the overflow, down the pipes, out of the filter sock (which the top hangs several inches above the water line), avoided being sucked into the skimmer, over the baffles and into the fuge chamber of my sump. I don't have sand in there, but I guess he felt safe hiding in the chaeto.

At first I wondered what he'd been eating all that time and then I realized that I have quite the healthy pod population living in there. No doubt he thought he was living at a five star restaurant, lol.