• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB DUNCAN CORAL

@DangerDave .... Mr danger. I have a Duncan issue. And as a very successful reefer. And all around good guy. I have a question for you. I have three Duncan’s. One is completely different than the other two which I believe came from the same parent Duncan. But all three, When I put them in my main tank. Where all the corals are doing excellent. The three Duncan’s all suck in and close up. I have left them in the tank for three weeks. And they never come out. So I put them in my frag/hospital tank. And within three days they come out they eat and look beautiful. I leave them there for a week or two. And stick them in the big tank and again they immediate close up. I have tried this process three times. The one big thing different between the tanks is the big tank is very clean and has low nutrients. While the frag/hospital tank has higher phosphate and nitrates.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
That’s odd. I mean the nutrient difference sounds like an obvious contender. Could be that with any combo of lighting and flow difference. How does the flow compare?

So hard to compare. They both have pretty good flow. But lighting Is completely different in every way. I just don’t understand why I can’t make them happy when The rest of the inhabitants as a whole couldn’t be doing better. I have a huge variety of coral. From NPS to soft to LPS and some SPS. Everything is doing as well as I feel they could except those darn Duncan’s. I realize that’s pretty much no help at all. I guess I was hoping that maybe you know of a parameter or supplement that Duncan’s prefer and I could Slowly adjust the tank to accommodate them. Really. Any suggestions from anyone. Is very much welcome. In the end if I can’t make them happy I’ll either gIve them to someone or trade them.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Crazy how these reef work (or don’t work) sometimes. I would think light issues would be short time issues. Some I have up around 220 par, other at 60. They all got used to their spot. Some colonies will in my DT will close for a week while the others stay open. I haven’t learned why.