• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB LEDS for FOWLR

I'm looking to replace my MH/CF lights with LEDS for my 210 fowr tank. any reccomendations would be appreciated.. has anyone tried those Marineland Reef lights? thanks

Pete

So far my AI Sol Blue's are great. The Ecotech Radions are getting some great press as well. The biggest thing for me is that the unit have some type of modular setup. If a bulb went I want to be able to replace it without replacing the entire unit.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I would take a look at the Marineland, great price and are really designed for FOWLR applications that are looking for LEDs but don't need the power of the more expensive models. If you wanted to pay a little more but really bring out the colors of some of your fish, I would look at the EcoExotic stunner strips. There are a ton of different colors and lengths you can come up with something pretty interesting. They are also for accent lighting, not for full time lighting.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/products/modular-led-lighting/stunner-led-strips.html

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey! The guy has a FOWLR! He only needs enough light to see his fish!

Why spend tons of money on fancy lights when you don’t need them?

Here’s the fixture I had over the 75 gallon freshwater tank I use to have.

IMG_5323.jpg

They are bipin LEDs.

I agree with paul. No corals=no need for fancy lights. 4- t5 would be efficient and do a great job showing the colors of fish. For leds, the 3-4 of the cheap chinese fixtures would b great and if u wanted to ever keep some kind of coral with them u could.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nick, I’m in agreement, but I’d almost think that two of those “Chinese” fixtures mounted up high would be more than enough for his tank. I’m assuming his 210 is a conventional 6 foot tank.

Just an honest question.....is there a reason why you have such expensive and high powered lighting on a FOWLR?

I currently have the Current USA MH/CF lamps because i also had some coral & inverts when i first started the tank. I also bought this lamp relatively cheap. I'm only using the compact bulbs at the time. I would like to switch to LEDS. Don't want to spend a lot but would like something that would still allow me to add some easy corals/ inverts in the future if i ever decide to go back that route.

Pete

"QUOTE=Nickjr000;681633]I agree with paul. No corals=no need for fancy lights. 4- t5 would be efficient and do a great job showing the colors of fish. For leds, the 3-4 of the cheap chinese fixtures would b great and if u wanted to ever keep some kind of coral with them u could.[/QUOTE]

Nick
thanks for the advice...btw which lamps are you referring too as the "Cheap Chinese LEDS"?...as you mentioned, I may add some coral again in the future. thanks

I would take a look at the Marineland, great price and are really designed for FOWLR applications that are looking for LEDs but don't need the power of the more expensive models. If you wanted to pay a little more but really bring out the colors of some of your fish, I would look at the EcoExotic stunner strips. There are a ton of different colors and lengths you can come up with something pretty interesting. They are also for accent lighting, not for full time lighting.

http://www.ecoxotic.com/products/modular-led-lighting/stunner-led-strips.html

Thanks for the info Mike...will certainly look into these..Too bad they're not for full time lighting though.