• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB lots of xenia

I am looking to buy a ton of xenia!

I am starting a 10 foot by 4 foot frag tank an dI want a lot of xenia to cover the bottom of this tank under the eggcrate. If you have some for sale, please pm me or text me at 610-533-4670. I am looking to get as much as possible.

Thanks!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
You don’t need a lot. Get a frag and you will have a tank full of Xenia in no time.

I’m actually quite curious as I am new to reefing. What is the advantage or benefit to placing Xenia under the frag racks. Im certain there is a reason I am just very green and can’t find one with my internet search. Thanks

Xenia takes in excess nutrients as it grows. Easy to trim and rehome. Some people trash it, since it's relatively inexpensive. Kinda like growing chaeto.

(That's my understanding, don't let me speak for OP)

Ok. I guess that makes sense. But doesn’t it consume other things that corals need to grow. Macro algae doesn’t consume the elements that corals primarily use Seems like 40 square feet of Xenia is going to consume a lot things other corals could be using Again my apologies. I absolutely mean no disrespect. I’m just trying to weigh the Benefits to the down side

DangerDave

NJRC Member
It’s a very effective filter. @Mark_C had a small Xenia tank, no water changes for a loooong time and it just kept going. Maybe he’ll give us some details...

The risk is having it detach and spread to your display where it could take over.

That’s cool. Thanks for the info Wilson and Dave. Don’t think I’m ready for that radical of a move. But it is interesting

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I keep a small amount of Xenia in all my tanks.
But I don’t let it grow.
If you put it in a display I would recommend to put it high in your tank.

If you put it in your frag tank place it way from other frags or coral.

Xenia in the right environment will take over your tank. It grows on anything glass/rocks
I had some on a tuxedo urchin.

It’s like green star polyp if you don’t separate it from your rocks it will grow everywhere.