• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB pond stuff, liners, big rubbermaids

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Started digging out a small pond today (5x5, open to expansion).
Figured I'd check in if anyone has any filters, pumps, liners (flexible or firm), underlay, etc...
Lemme now.
Thanks,
Mark

radiata

NJRC Member
Mark,

Strongly suggest that you take Anthony up on his 300G offer. I used a pond liner. The first hole in the liner was made by an insect. I have yet to find the location of the second hole, so I don't know what caused it. Caveat emptor...

And, I have a good sized external pond filter available. I recollect I powered it with a Mag 18. Let me know if you have any interest, and I'll locate the specs on it.

Bob

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I have a fluval fx5 which says it's for ponds (I know nothing about pond filtration) available cheap. I used it on a brackish 140 gallon system that was taken down last year. It was oversized for the system, which was cool cause the water was sooo clear it didn't appear to be filled lol.

Dave

Last edited:

Bad Fish

Officer Emeritus
I am digging out a pond as well. My suggestion would before you place a liner down use any old carpet you may have to line the hole firsteven old couch cushions and the like

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Holy cow.
Thanks for all the replies. I was gone unexpectedly for a bit then off the grid for a week so apologies for non-responsiveness.
While off the grid I built a small pond (only about 100g). Dug a few inches below ground level, lined with old carpet, then quad layer of pond liner, then actual 10mm liner.
Seems sturdy enough for the small size and shape. Pump is a simple 800gph set to a filter unit with a secondary routing to a small waterfall.