• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB stomapod / mantis shrimp

I want to start a nano and keep a mantis shrimp. Where would be the best place to buy/acquire them?
Any feedback would be much appreciated. -J

I know Ocean Gallery II normally has one in stock.....
They are a sponsor so you could just send them a PM or ask any sponsor that is close to where you reside...

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mikem said:
jonathan. said:
Make sure you use an acrylic tank ;)
Teach me something. What would the difference be? I never had one.

There are 2 types of mantis shrimp, spearers and smashers. Spearers have barbed spears for front claws and smashers have club like appendages. Some of the larger species of smashers can break a glass tank. This usually only happens when folks keep them in small tanks such as 10-15 gallons as the glass is really thin. You can use glass just go with a 29 gallon or larger, or you can put a piece of acrylic on the bottom of the tank between the glass and sand.

Mantis are burrowing creatures by nature. In the wild when they reach a rock while digging they smash their way through it. When digging in an aquarium and they reach the glass bottom, they assume it is a rock and attempt to smash through it resulting in a cracked tank. Putting acrylic on the bottom will help alleviate this.

panmanmatt said:
mikem said:
jonathan. said:
Make sure you use an acrylic tank ;)
Teach me something. What would the difference be? I never had one.

There are 2 types of mantis shrimp, spearers and smashers. Spearers have barbed spears for front claws and smashers have club like appendages. Some of the larger species of smashers can break a glass tank. This usually only happens when folks keep them in small tanks such as 10-15 gallons as the glass is really thin. You can use glass just go with a 29 gallon or larger, or you can put a piece of acrylic on the bottom of the tank between the glass and sand.

Mantis are burrowing creatures by nature. In the wild when they reach a rock while digging they smash their way through it. When digging in an aquarium and they reach the glass bottom, they assume it is a rock and attempt to smash through it resulting in a cracked tank. Putting acrylic on the bottom will help alleviate this.

I have a buddy who lost a 55G tank due to a smashing mantis. I believe it was one of those awesome colored peacock mantis shrimp which are smashers.

I would definitely keep them in an acrylic aquarium, regardless, just because I'd hate to find a glass tank shattered.

A large mantis shrimp could very well likely smash most glass tanks.

While acrylic does make the most sense - a glass tank could be used if you take precautions...

Like if the sandbed is thick enough and teh grains are small - any mantis-made burrow would collapse and therefore it could not reach the bottom. To create a "safe" burrow, add in a large U shaped piece of pvc in the sugar grain sand and you're all set. Throw in some shells and bits of larger crushed coral for them to use to shore up the entrance to their burrow.

Or you could pick up one of the smaller smasher species from the carribean.

Peacocks are beautiful but they don't call them thumbsplitters for fun. :eek: