• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WTB UNUSED Dry rock

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
looking to buy 30-40lbs of unused dry rock / base rock for a new project im working on, cheaper the better shoot me a text at 973-900-0939 bergen county area if possible

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Literally received a shipment of the $40 worth of rock from John at Reefcleaners (along with a ton of CuC and pods).

It's approx 20 pounds of FANTASTIC rock that I'm very happy with (that beer bottle is actually wine bottle size and the tiles are 12" square). At around $2 - $2.50 a pound I doubt there's much better.

IMG_8782.jpeg
IMG_8783.jpeg

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
This is awesome rock and super clean. Only down fall is they tend to send 2 or 3 large pieces.
I ordered 3 boxes from them and took a hammer to a few of them to get some smaller sizes.
It is the same exact rock as Marco rock, BRS reef saver, & Reefcleaners(formally reef rocks).

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
yah ill prob just order this rock and call it a day think 1 shipment should fill a 32gallon bio yah?

Definitely enough.
If they send you a large or larger pieces, they are easily manipulated with a hammer and screwdriver.

Even though the rock is very clean, it does hold sand well within that you will encounter if you break it up. After breaking up give it a good rinse with hose jet stream to rinse out the sand. I then put it a big container and go at it with straight vinegar for 24hrs with a pump to mix it up. It will really open up the holes and will really transform the look of the rock. After that a good rinse and another spray from the hose and your ready to go.

The vinegar bath is not really needed, but I like it to open up the holes a bit more. Ot really does make something awesome even better.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Definitely enough.
If they send you a large or larger pieces, they are easily manipulated with a hammer and screwdriver.

Even though the rock is very clean, it does hold sand well within that you will encounter if you break it up. After breaking up give it a good rinse with hose jet stream to rinse out the sand. I then put it a big container and go at it with straight vinegar for 24hrs with a pump to mix it up. It will really open up the holes and will really transform the look of the rock. After that a good rinse and another spray from the hose and your ready to go.

The vinegar bath is not really needed, but I like it to open up the holes a bit more. Ot really does make something awesome even better.

yah gonna order this week by the looks of things, im sure this question has been asked somewhere online cant seem to find the right answer--- how do people clean hermits and snails before DT most of the snails i got or hermits had those Vertimin snails on them or some weird feather dusters hidden in the shells any way to clean this

yah gonna order this week by the looks of things, im sure this question has been asked somewhere online cant seem to find the right answer--- how do people clean hermits and snails before DT most of the snails i got or hermits had those Vertimin snails on them or some weird feather dusters hidden in the shells any way to clean this
Scrape them off the shells. It's really a losing battle though. The vermitids will likely find there way in anyway.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Scrape them off the shells. It's really a losing battle though. The vermitids will likely find there way in anyway.

well im hoping to dip literally everything with out using live rock at first either play it as safe as possible

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
just a quick update to the fellow Reefers looking for Cheap Rock just order this on amazon seems the cheapest way to go, after reading comments you get around 50 lbs instead of 40ish and some big clunks of rock the way i see it its a hobby that requires some hands on work so get a hammer and become a mason for a day haha. i did the subscription made the rock cost me 35$ which is like 70 cent a pound cant beat that and ill just cancel the subscription once the rock comes in ill most likely post some pictures of the rock for anyone interested in getting some
anyone have any good idea how to glue this rock into basically 1-2 structures so once i enter it into the tank it wont move around or all

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Ocea...00F8DVAO4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Marco rocks sells a cement that is supposedly good. But not cheap for what you get.
Threaded nylon rods and a drill would work too. But you will be amazed at how it stacks and stays. Especially if you go about the process I mentioned eariler.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Marco rocks sells a cement that is supposedly good. But not cheap for what you get.
Threaded nylon rods and a drill would work too. But you will be amazed at how it stacks and stays. Especially if you go about the process I mentioned eariler.

sweet ill look into it once i get my landscape done and glued ill throw some pictures