• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

WWII Enthusiasts?

My grandfather has two Navy Ribbons without the medals (don't know where the medals are). His DD-214 says he was awarded two medals, the American Theatre Medal and the Victory Medal. The ribbon on the left is the WWII Victory Ribbon. The one on the right through google searching I have found is the American Campaign ribbon. But when I do a search for the actual American Campaign medal it shows a Blue & White medal & ribbon. Can anyone help make sense of this?

Attachments

• 20161110_164447.jpg
    20161110_164447.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The one on the right appears to be the American Defense Service Ribbon.....albeit faded.

1024px-American_Defense_Service_ribbon.svg.png

FYI, my dad was a WWII Marine.

Last edited:
The one on the right appears to be the American Defense Service Ribbon.....albeit faded.

FYI, my dad was a WWII Marine.

It is definitely that ribbon. But it says it was only given out until 1941. He didn't enter active service until 1945. Wikipedia says "The medal is authorized to military members who served on active duty between September 8, 1939 and December 7, 1941."

So confused!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yep, for those years of service, the ribbon should look like this:

2000px-American_Campaign_Medal_ribbon.svg.png

The only thing I can think of is that my father came home from service with an officer's tent (that as kid's, my sister and I played in until a hail storm shredded it to rags). FYI, my father was a private, first class. Go figure!

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Just a thought.
Did he serve in or around France?
Usually American ribbons have a distinct center bar.
Example - During the first gulf the ribbons awarded from the Bahrain government resembled, but were slightly variant, from US issued ribbons, at least in the USCG.
Perhaps this is a WWII French variant. I only think as there was a lot of activity in France and the bars do mimic the French flag.

Just a thought.
Did he serve in or around France?
Usually American ribbons have a distinct center bar.
Example - During the first gulf the ribbons awarded from the Bahrain government resembled, but were slightly variant, from US issued ribbons, at least in the USCG.
Perhaps this is a WWII French variant. I only think as there was a lot of activity in France and the bars do mimic the French flag.

Thankfully he never left the US...the war was over by the time he finished radio airman school.

Yep, for those years of service, the ribbon should look like this:

2000px-American_Campaign_Medal_ribbon.svg.png

The only thing I can think of is that my father came home from service with an officer's tent (that as kid's, my sister and I played in until a hail storm shredded it to rags). FYI, my father was a private, first class. Go figure!

Paul....I can understand coming home with items you aren't supposed to, but aren't ribbons and medals usually given out by the officers in power at the time?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thankfully he never left the US...the war was over by the time he finished radio airman school.

Did he remain in service after the war ended? For him doing his service in the US, he would have had to serve for at least a year to receive the American Campaign ribbon/medal.

Did he remain in service after the war ended? For him doing his service in the US, he would have had to serve for at least a year to receive the American Campaign ribbon/medal.

He served active service from January 8, 1945 until August 12, 1946. And then inactive service until August 12, 1951.

I can say from being still in the military myself that sometimes you can be awarded a medal/ribbon but not recieve the paperwork for record. Also i recieved paperwork for.medals i never was issued. I also have several dd214s with different information on them due to serving overseas at different times so i keep a record to show everything i have. It is possible to write a request to archives for a full copy of what he was authorized for wear. Some items are autherized for wear.only while servining with a unit that was awarded it, once you left that unit you were no longer authorized to wear it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I can say from being still in the military myself that sometimes you can be awarded a medal/ribbon but not recieve the paperwork for record. Also i recieved paperwork for.medals i never was issued. I also have several dd214s with different information on them due to serving overseas at different times so i keep a record to show everything i have. It is possible to write a request to archives for a full copy of what he was authorized for wear. Some items are autherized for wear.only while servining with a unit that was awarded it, once you left that unit you were no longer authorized to wear it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Thank you Toad! Do I just google Navy archives?