• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

xenia not opening

So what is it with Xenia, all my coral are doing fine, LPS some SPS no problems at all with them. The Xenia just shriveled up after a week in the tank . I thought they were extremely hardy since they grow like weeds in most peoples tanks.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
They either grow like weeds for folks or shrivel up and die. Welcome to the other half of the population!

I have plenty to give away if you want to try it again. I am ripping it out tomorrow if nobody wants it for free. I am the population where it grows like crazy

I actually am on both sides with xenia. In my display, it grows like a week. Every time I look it dropped another bud here and there. I think it's growing in about 5 places now. In my 20G, it started off like a weed, then it basically shriveled up. Never wants to open up anymore.

Differences between the two:
I do consistent water changes in display. In the 20, I don't bother as much since nothing is in there except live rock and some softies.
I dose iodine sometimes in display. I never dose iodine in 20. Xenia and most softies love iodine.
Display has T5. 20 has PC.
Display xenia grows mostly in low flow areas. In the 20, flow is pretty much medium thoughout.

Draw your own conclusions from this very unscientific setup but maybe somewhere in there is the answer to why xenia doesn't work for you.

You know Years ago when I had Xenia, I now remember that I would dose iodine, and there is pretty high flow where it is. I'm going to move it and see what happens. If not no big loss :)

Don't dose without testing. The very first time I dosed iodine, I followed the instructions on the bottle (Kent's Iodine). It said, add 5ml per 50 gallons or something to that effect so I dumped in 10ml. Next thing I know, all my softies doubled in size and looked like they were about to explode. My shrimp molted within minutes and my anems all shriveled up. I reread the bottle and it said, this is amount to be dosed weekly. Ideally, dose daily. Well a quick water change and anem opened back up but I was in a panic for a little bit.

You shouldn't need to dose iodines unless you have a ton of soft corals. Regular water changes should replenish the trace elements needed, including the iodine. If you do test for iodine, you should note that it's also not a very good test. It's hard to read and the I2/I3- equilibrium is very difficult to guage correctly.

Good luck and if you need any more xenia, I'll be happy to give you some of my weed next time I prune back.

Hey JSantoli,
What kind of xenia are you getting rid of?I was actually looking for a specific kind(giant anthelia)
I have a ton of pom pom xenia,so if that's what you're getting rid of,thanks anyway.I
Thank you too Greg White for the link
So long,Pete

Hey Diverrk - I have some pink xenia that pulses like crazy. You are welcome to a nice frag if you want to pick it up over the weekend. I am in Boonton. Lmk a day in advance
Bob

i have had successes and failures in the same tank for me. large antheilia, pink xenia, brownish pink xenia and smaller specie of anthelia i think are all doing superbly well in my tank. however, i managed to kill the blue xenia type. also the brownish pink pumping xenia grows like weed but some of the outgrowths that fall down on the sand i have found shrivel and die. not sure if it's due to chemical warfare or b/c the babies fell into sand where it could not attach to a substrate....

Xenia can be tricky. When my tank was new it grew like a weed and then as I became more SPS dominant it wasn't happy. Try a nano without SPS and see if it does better. Here's a pic of my tank where the xenia thrived at the top of the glass.
9-3-07039.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow, I agree with Diver….looks like a picture frame. Did you place the xenia or did it just find it way to the perimeter on its own.

red,

I'm gonna make a guess but when you became SPS dominant, you started to concern yourself a lot with nitrates right? Xenia needs nitrates. It's one of the biggest nitrate sponges around. You might have been removing too much of it so they couldn't thrive.

redfishbluefish said:
Wow, I agree with Diver….looks like a picture frame. Did you place the xenia or did it just find it way to the perimeter on its own.

It spread so quickly when my tank was new. I used to chisel off three frags a month. Eventually it brushed up against the glass and started to climb. I was happy because I could just scrape it off the glass and bring frags to share at my reef club. The growth slowed down over time though.

I always wanted some pom pom and finally got a small piece. I have it in my current tank and it is starting to spread slowly. I was excited when it started to pulse. I don't have any nitrate readings in this tank and so far so good. I have read anecdotal reports that Lugol's Solution will help with Xenia. Anthony Calfo predicted that ph was also a factor as to whether it pulses or not. Xenia is prond to crashes and I have never read anyone who was willing to scientifically explain why.