• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Xfinity X1 platform

I'm getting ready to upgrade my cable box to the new X1platform cable box. I know comcast suckered me but I'm saving $20 a month now.

Has anyone upgraded to this cable box yet. If so what should I expect ? Will I love it or hate it ?

I upgraded to that when it first came out and I hated it! It was so glitchy just like any other brand new electronic. But that was 6 months ago. Now its awesome. Hardly have any problems whatsoever. Don't think I can go back to regular cable.

Only problem is, I never figured out how to do the voice command thing with my phone. They never showed me Lol I'd suggest it to others, definitely

That's good to hear Dave and Matt. I think I got a good deal. They gave me X1 Platform cable box , 4 room dvr's , all the premium Channels , Streamplex , sports package all for $20 less then what I was already paying. How often do you guys use those apps.

They are installing it as I type. I'll let you know in a few hours. I'm coming from years of using tivo so I'll be interested to see how it compares.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mike the dvr is just like TiVo the only thing is once you delete it ,it's deleted. Unlike TiVo it goes into a deleted file and you can still watch it if you want to watch again.

falconut

NJRC Member
I've had mine for a few months and it is much better than my previous DVR (RNG200). That thing was so glitchy. The only feature I wish it had was to move forward on the guide, one day at a time. Very happy with mine so far.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
You can upgrade to X2. A friend is a Comcast exec/engineer - he's always good for a tip. On your remote, hit enter, enter, x, t,w,o.
Enjoy. It's better

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm signing up for it as we speak. I'll let you know after it gets installed how I like it.

Alright it's been about four days since the X1 Platform box has been install it has some good features that the old cable box didn't have. For example once you watched the show you recorded it has a check mark saying that it's been watched, it also automatically changes your channel to a HD channel if it's available. The phone app remote control is great to.

I'm pretty happy with it also. Now I need to convince my wife to shed our second tivo. Are we supposed to see the caller ID pop up on the tv?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I googled it. Looks like it's supposed to be a faster system with "cloud" capabilities where you can watch stuff from your tv, mobile devices, and even another pc (at work or whatever).

It's supposed to give you more customization and is better at suggesting content (not something I care much for, but some do I guess). It also has some cool features like being able to "swipe" content from a mobile device to your TV! You know, like they do on NCIS: LA and other TV shows. I wanna try that just to be a tech geek! Dance

I googled it. Looks like it's supposed to be a faster system with "cloud" capabilities where you can watch stuff from your tv, mobile devices, and even another pc (at work or whatever).

It's supposed to give you more customization and is better at suggesting content (not something I care much for, but some do I guess). It also has some cool features like being able to "swipe" content from a mobile device to your TV! You know, like they do on NCIS: LA and other TV shows. I wanna try that just to be a tech geek! Dance
I'll be doing the X2 upgrade once I get home.

fatoldsun

NJRC Member
I'm pretty happy with it also. Now I need to convince my wife to shed our second tivo. Are we supposed to see the caller ID pop up on the tv?

I'm a TiVo guy at heart. Had TiVo since '98. It was a hard sell but my buddy convinced me to try x1 - said they hired TiVo's head programmer. To me it's a huge step past the old Comcast DVR but still not TiVo.

I don't see that much change. The interface is different but until they change the functionality and the remote (separate the play and pause buttons and add an input shortcut) it's just fancier menu screens. Not as glitchy as it was in the fall but still has room for improvement. The problem is the tech changes are coming so fast that they're moving on to the next "thing"/ update rather than fix glitches with this one. I still think it's worth upgrading to x2 but there's still room for improvement. They just need to make the remote boxes wifi. Running RG6 is do archaic.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ah, I guess all the info I Googled led me to believe X2 was better of an improvement than it actually is. Still, even if it's slightly better, I'm glad I know the code to unlock it. ;)

I prefer a hard wire over wireless though and I've already got RG6 ran to each TV anyway. That won't be an issue for me.