• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Xm 10k bulbs Yea or Nay?

My new/used fixture came with a fairly new set of 10k xm bulbs in it.

Does anyone use these and what are your opinions on them.

The fixture is a 3x150w halide with 8x 39w t-5

I needed a 6ft fixture and found this one made by current that was slightly used for $350

I figure for the t-5's I will throw in either 6 ati blue plus and 2 ati especials or all 8 blue plus.

Not sure yet.

But wanted some opinions on the xm bulbs

I like the 150W XM 10K. They put out a great amount of PAR and are a nice white.

For the T5s, I would strongly consider having one KZ Fiji Purple in there. It brings out reds and purples in your corals.

For the T5s, I would strongly consider having one KZ Fiji Purple in there. It brings out reds and purples in your corals.

I would need to use two of them (4 t-5's on each side)

Have heard mixed reviews on the Fiji purples....would have to give up a blue plus or not use the especials.

Dont know how that would look with 3 10k bulbs....might be a bit too white. If they were 15k bulbs it wouldnt be as much of a question.

My old setup used Ushio 14k's and I wasnt impressed with the colour....too white for me.

shipwrecked said:
I kinda like the xm's you've seen my tank, I cant say its too blue..

Yeah but you use a mogul (screw in bulb) correct?

I wonder if there is a difference between that and a double ended bulb like mine.

Great link with a ton of good images....should help a ton. Thanks

Shame you are rooting for the wrong team though.....Go Pens!!!!! :p

ynotme4886 said:
Great link with a ton of good images....should help a ton. Thanks

Shame you are rooting for the wrong team though.....Go Pens!!!!! :p

If heaven ain't a lot like Detroit, I don't want to go. 8)

Well the verdict is in about the 10k's

Set up the new fixture tonight and fired it up. Even with 8 39w ati blue plus t-5's on when the Xm's were fully lit it looked like someone took a Pee in my tank.

Wife said it made everything look like crap and they had to go.

So I am probably going to go with a 15k phoenix (had 14k ushios before and they were a bit too white for my tastes)

So can someone suggest a good 15-20k bulb with good par ratings that I will get some decent growth out of that will give me a nice bluish look to the tank.

Thanks

The reeflux 12k and phoenix 14k are the 2 most popular bulbs right now for that wattage and color temp.

I might even have a used phoenix bulb you can try if my sale falls through.

Van you are 5 mins from me.....I live just down the hill from the 7-11 so checking out the bulb where you are would be easy as well.

Thanks