• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Yellow Clown Gobys

Anyone know anything about these little guys? I read in one book that they nip at corals but still reefsafe because they are so small that they don't do any damage. I picked up 2 of these guys and the one that hangs out on my frag rack has been nipping. Now some of my frags that had amazing polyp extension aren't extending anything anymore. I'm a little worried. Anyone know or have any advice on what I should do about it.

From LiveAquaria:

The Yellow Clown Goby is common within the reefs of the Indo Pacific, found usually among soft and hard coral colonies. They are a small stocky shaped fish with a very large head for their size. There are many different color variations, and this species is yellow in color. They are a peaceful fish that makes a wonderful addition to a reef aquarium containing colonies of polyp corals, as they enjoy swimming and hiding amongst the polyps. However, they may nip at the polyps of SPS corals.
It requires a 10-gallon or larger aquarium preferably with branching coral. It will rarely become aggressive towards other fish, but will fight with its own kind in smaller aquarium. Therefore, it is best if it is kept with other docile species.

It is common for clown gobies to spawn in an aquarium. Caution should be exercised if the aquarium contains Acropora sp. or similar SPS corals. They will lay their eggs on the underside of the coral's branch, which will cause tissue recession in that area of the coral. However, under good conditions, the coral will regenerate the lost tissue.

The Yellow Clown Goby's diet should consist of a variety of brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, table shrimp, and frozen food

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike

We used to have one, it was Debbie's favorite fish.

I loved it, it would swim into all the SPS and hang out, I never noticed any problems with any of the corals he hung out on, I believe the corals adjust to it eventually.

I've also "heard" that they eat redbugs...but I would take that with a grain of salt.

they are very popular little fish but unfortunately most don't live longer then a year or so from what i have read. There was an interesting article on their life cycle in national geograhic. they are reef safe from what i have read

The November 2007 Aquarium Fish International magazine has an article by Scott W. Michael on gobies.

Specifically he briefly mentions that Gobiodon citrinus from Okinawa was reported to feed heavily on stony coral polyps and mucus, with a minor portion of its diet from algae, copepods and invert eggs. At the same time though the coral colony benefits from the fish because of the nitrogen byproduct and somehow the mucus from the goby deters would be coral predators (butterfly fish).

I guess for a large colony it isn't an issue but maybe for your frags it may be. Perhaps take the goby from the frag rack out back into QT to give it a "time out" and then return it with lights out (perhaps it'll find it's way into your main display).

Mike

Keep thr frag rack up higher in the tank. These Gobies don't really like to be out in the open too long. Also, the longer you have these guys, the more used to your feeding prcess they become and if you are feeding cyclopeze/rotifer sized stuff along with the usual frozen fare, you should be OK long term.

Dom

They are gone. Not really. I put them in the sump. Really easy to get them out. I created a siphon with the tube from my python aquarium vaccum and sucked them right down to the sump.