• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Yellow Tang- Black Spot Disease

does anyone have any experience with this? I've researched it and it seems that a cure is doing a freshwater dip....I attempted this last night and was unsuccessful at getting the tang out of the tank without destroying the display...so, needless to say, I've given up....went out and bought a cleaner shrimp in the hopes that the shrimp will help the tang and get rid of this problem...I think the parasite came out when the tank was fluctuating in temp...I read that this parasite will start to propagate in 76 degree water...tank was fluctuating the past few days between 76 on the low and 80 on the high...

What you have is black ich. My tang had it about a month ago and it can come and go if they get stressed out. What I did was I bought a garlic clove and put about 3 pieces of it in my sump and this fixed the problem. I switched the garlic out every couple of days but, for one week I always had garlic in my sump. Since than the ich has not come back and my tang is healthy. The garlic boosts their immune system and helps them fight off the disease.

Hi Jon, thank you for your post!!....unfortunately, I don't have a sump as I live in a second floor condo and can't chance teh possibility of a flood....I have garlic soaked nori, but the damn tang isn't interested in nori....she prefers to graze on the rocks and completely ignores the nori