• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Yellow tang with black spots

Anyone have any idea what small black spots on yellow tang could be? It looks like small specks of black pepper he is eating and looks healthy. The other fish don't have this. Any input on this, thanks.

If it is black ich...I am going to assume that it is treated the same as regular ich. Garlic and water changes might help but will not rid the system of it. The only way is to remove all the fish in the tank that had the ich and leave it fallow for 8-12 weeks. Treat the fish in a seperate tank with copper.

I will try the water changes and garlic for now. Can this ich lead to severe health problems for the fish?

Usually death. I have been thru it. If you don't treat the fish eventually the ich will out number the ability for the fish to fight it off. You are wasting your time with the water changes. If the ich is in the free floating stage you may remove some but it will come back.

Yup. Treat all the fish in a seperate tank, keep the display tank fallow for at lesat 6 to 12 weeks. The longer the better.

There are multiple methods of treatment you can research on the web, and choose the one you think is best, but catching it early you have a better chance of beating it.

I didn't suggest qt for the fish because unfortunately if your like me there is no possible way to get the fish out of the tank. So I treat the way I can.... Water changes, garlic, cleaner things such as cleaner Gobi's wrasses and shrimp and cross my fingers. But sure if you can pull the fish out and treat them

Nickjr000 said:
I didn't suggest qt for the fish because unfortunately if your like me there is no possible way to get the fish out of the tank. So I treat the way I can.... Water changes, garlic, cleaner things such as cleaner Gobi's wrasses and shrimp and cross my fingers. But sure if you can pull the fish out and treat them

Well for some people the cross the fingers technique is not a good one. why bother being in the hobby if there is a possible chance that any new addition could wipe out your entire tank.....

Water changes, Garlic, and any other reef safe product is just snake oil and prolongs the enevitable....

I'm saying cross my fingers because what else can you do if you can't get the fish out of your reef or fowlr tank. Besides what i already listed. As far as adding a fish to your tank, If you follow the proper quarantine techniques ( example would be DR Jim's ) you more than likely won't have a problem.

Nickjr000 said:
I'm saying cross my fingers because what else can you do if you can't get the fish out of your reef or fowlr tank. Besides what i already listed. As far as adding a fish to your tank, If you follow the proper quarantine techniques ( example would be DR Jim's ) you more than likely won't have a problem.

when ich is in your tank it does not matter what type of qt you follow. If you don't leave your tank fallow for at least 3 months your gonna get ich again. I have a 300 gallon reef. I had friends come over we removed every piece of rock and corals and got the fish out. Tank has been fallow since aug and will remain till Xmas time.

Dr Jim is a great guy. I am no longer a fan of chloroquine. There is no way to test your level in your treatment tank. So how do you know if you are using enough to kill the parasite. The last time I was at his place he was telling me he had a few fish make it thru the treatment and they still had ich. So I now treat my own fish in my own 125 hospital tank. I am trying paraguard then if that does not work copper.