• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

You can't run a tank that way!

I have been reading a bunch of his tank threads for a while and love his approach . Those old /aged bottles look cool .

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
UNBELIEVABLE!

As a newbie everyone’s been pushing all this high-priced stuff…this reactor, that reactor, this light unit, that sump/refugium, now a controller and a chiller and $$$$$$$$$.

And to think I could have gone with the undergravel filter I have in the shed (from the 70’s), a few light fixtures from the Plaza (wish I had them (and not for the tank)), and a bag of Icemelt from HD for my Ca dosing (yes he does; read page 33 of the above post, “It costs me about $5.00 for a five year supply.”)

I like this man’s thinking….and or course, many years of experience. If it works, run with it.

Icemelt does work for Ca but the problem is the company has stated that it is not pure enough for aquatic use. You can go cheap on calcium using pickling lime and that won't have the impurities. I would still dose Mg using Dowflakes if only I could find it somewhere.

redfishbluefish said:
UNBELIEVABLE!

As a newbie everyone’s been pushing all this high-priced stuff…this reactor, that reactor, this light unit, that sump/refugium, now a controller and a chiller and $$$$$$$$$.

I like this man’s thinking….and or course, many years of experience. If it works, run with it.

That's why I posted this thread. Sometimes people's enthusiasm to help the new folks makes it seem like their way is the only way. If you have a good understanding of basic reef chemistry and biology, you can learn how to make any system work.

calaxa said:
Icemelt does work for Ca but the problem is the company has stated that it is not pure enough for aquatic use. You can go cheap on calcium using pickling lime and that won't have the impurities. I would still dose Mg using Dowflakes if only I could find it somewhere.

I think when all the chemical companies learned their products were being used for reefkeeping they just wanted to protect themselves. I've used Randy's 2-part on and off for a few years and haven't had any problems from impurities.

I have moved away from it however to simplify my maintenance routine. With the new sump setup water changes are a snap so I do weekly 10% waterchanges and use ESV Kalkwasser in my topoff. I have to add 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day. When you rely on additives you should do more testing. I'm testing weekly now since it's only the second week since the upgrade. When I'm sure things are stable I'll probably just test monthly.

If I find I'm depleting CA or Alk, I'll increase the water changes.

BTW Dowflake is Calcium and has had a change in the process that has increased the levels of Bromide. There was a lot of discussion on RC about it. LAst I read Randy was leaning toward it being OK to use.

For inexpensive magnesium you want MagFlakes made by the Dead Sea Saltworks.

Yeah I meant Magflake from Dead Sea Salts....and of course those companies are just trying to protect their butts. Thanks for the correction.

His tank is nice, I've been following it for awhile but only thing is he hardly has growth it seems like... So some of the equip expensive equip is good to have if you want your corals to grow :) lol

blange3 said:
Great thread for the "You can only run a reef this way!" crowd.

Paul B's over 35 year old reef.

Paul kept counting after he transferred his 40 to a 100 so I guess my 180 is 3 years old today as this would have been the former tank's birthday. :D

The reef is an excellent example of what can be done with equipment that is generally considered obsolete by today's reef standards. No mater what systems was being used, it is an excellent reef.

However, other than as an experimental system, would you recommend that method to anyone today. I would not.

First, off the guy has many many years of experience with SW aquarium systems. Someone like that is automaticly going to do most everything correctly. The filtration system is not going to have to compensate for those "stupid errors" most all make at one time or another.

Second, the tank mostly contains soft corals and other low light requirement corals. Nothing wrong with that, but understand your not going to keep a system full of clams and SPS corals in that type of a system.

If you wanted to such a system and you know what your getting involved with, by all means give it a try. However, don't expect to get better results that you would with a more modern system.

DaveK said:
The reef is an excellent example of what can be done with equipment that is generally considered obsolete by today's reef standards. No mater what systems was being used, it is an excellent reef.

However, other than as an experimental system, would you recommend that method to anyone today. I would not.

First, off the guy has many many years of experience with SW aquarium systems. Someone like that is automaticly going to do most everything correctly. The filtration system is not going to have to compensate for those "stupid errors" most all make at one time or another.

Second, the tank mostly contains soft corals and other low light requirement corals. Nothing wrong with that, but understand your not going to keep a system full of clams and SPS corals in that type of a system.

If you wanted to such a system and you know what your getting involved with, by all means give it a try. However, don't expect to get better results that you would with a more modern system.

Well I don't think experience makes you do anything automatically in the correct way, but it gives you the knowledge to make the correct choices more consistently. I've been keeping saltwater almost as long as PaulB and I make it a point to think before doing anything.

The important points I hoped would come out with this thread are that technology won't compensate for lack of knowledge and you need to choose livestock that matches your abilities and equipment.

As far as SPS and clams go I'm sure a few caps and a Derasa will do just fine in that tank. Again, you need to pick your livestock wisely.

Paul B

NJRC Member

Who is this "Paul" guy? Sounds like a jerk 8)
UG filter? The nerve. Can't work.
I bet it won't last a day past 40 years. :'(
I'll bet he even puts mud in there from the Long Island Sound ;)
And I also bet that some of his fish are not even 15 years old and a few of them are not even spawning. :-[
I would not ever take any advice from that guy ;D

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A big NJRC welcome to the Infamous Paul B! :)

Your ears must have been ringing!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul, Welcome to NJRC.
Thanks for sharing you're tank progression with us.
I noticed your mated pair of gobies. I've had a mated pair and spawning yellow watchman gobies for a little over 7 years now. This year, they lost their yellow coloring. They look exactly like your spawning pair. Is this normal for them to change colors? Assuming your's are yellow watchman.
Thanks

Paul B

NJRC Member
Mike, mine never looked like yellow watchmans. I got them when they were young and are definately not watchmans. I have some of them but I never looked up the name of the ones I have.
I have 3 of the gobies that are spawning now, the pair now ignores the third one but they drove him crazy for a couple of years.

I diden't know my tank progression was on this site. Where do I find it?
I know it's on RC ???

Great forum by the way ;)

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We read all the interesting stuff on RC ;D. I started in 1972 like yourself and ran my system like yours.