• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

You don't see this everyday

The French Magazine "Le magazine des voyages de pêche" in its 56th edition, brought up an amazing news: An astonishing love story.

"Arnold Pointer a professional fisherman from south of Australia set free from a certain death a big female White Shark that was caught in his fishing nets. Now the fisherman has a problem: He says: "It's been 2 years and she doesn't leave me alone. She follows me everywhere I go and her presence scares all the fishes. I don't know what to do anymore."
It is hard to get rid of an almost 17 feet long shark since the White Sharks are protected by the wildlife conservation, but a mutual affection established between Arnold and "Cindy".

Arnold Says: "Once I stop the boat she comes to me, she turns on her back and let me pet her belly and neck, she grunts, turn her eyes, and move her fins up and down hitting the water happilly.

SharkChatter.jpg

SharkBellyrub.jpg

SharkWelcome.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
THAT is the craziest thing I've ever seen. Animals are amazing.

Hehe it's one day early for April Fools.

"According to a spokesperson from the magazine, the "Shark Love Story" was published in the magazine two years ago as an April Fools joke."

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
phil519 said:

"According to a spokesperson from the magazine, the "Shark Love Story" was published in the magazine two years ago as an April Fools joke."

Uh Oh . . . I better cancel my order from LiveAquaria! I knew it seemed to good to be true. And after I just threw 200 buckets of salt in my pool!

Thanks Phil, it would have been better if you waited til today to let everyone know ;) that was my plan...

The story that a White Shark developed love and affection for its human rescuer is a hoax
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/shark-love-hoax.shtml

Commentary:
According to a slideshow presentation currently circulating via email and online, Arnold Pointer, an Australian fisherman, won the affection of a huge Great White Shark that he once saved from certain death. The slideshow claims that ever since the fisherman rescued the shark from his fishing nets, it has followed him around whenever possible and the two have formed a mutual affection. This absurd and fanciful tale would have us believe that the grateful fish, dubbed "Cindy", has formed a strong attachment to the man and even enjoys having her belly and neck rubbed.

A number of compelling photographs, supposedly showing the interaction between the shark and the fisherman, are included in the presentation.

However, the story is entirely untrue. I contacted "Le magazine des voyages de pêche", the French publication mentioned in the message, to enquire about the origin of the story. According to a spokesperson from the magazine, the "Shark Love Story" was published in the magazine two years ago as an April Fools joke. Apparently the joke story escaped the confines of the magazine and began circulating, first in French and later in the English version included here.

In fact, all the photographs used in the presentation were taken by South African marine biologists and shark experts, Michael C. Scholl and Thomas P. Peschak and have nothing whatsoever to do with an affectionate shark and a kind Australian fisherman.

Other photographs in the slideshow are included on the White Shark Trust website and in other publications. Not all the featured photographs depict the same shark. And, although the man does reach out and touch a shark in some of the photographs, this is simply a situational action and should not be misconstrued as some manner of mutual affection. While a man may feel a genuine affection and respect for the great finned ones, a shark is simply not biologically equipped to reciprocate such feelings.

phil519 said: