• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Your opinion on this tank

Can you please give me your opinion on this used 220 gallon tank. It is about a year old and is a Perfecto tank. It has four 1 inch holes drilled on the back glass. One on each top corners for the overflow and two in the middle for the returns. I'm a little concern about the silicone. So what do you think? Dim: 72x24x30.

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I don't think I'd care for the hole placement, drain style or height of the tank, personally. I'd look for something with a more conventional drain/return system.

would you be DIY'ing it and adding maybe a Calfo overflow to the set up? If so then you could place the box in the center and use the corners for the returns.

That stated, it's pretty deep at 30". I'm a small guy so personally I wouldn't like it since I would have a hard time reaching to the bottom of the tank. Also with that depth - consider what kind of lighting you're going to need.

Finally - I don't know what you are referring to with the silicone - as in the seams of the tanks? If you have a doubt about that, it may be best to find a different tank.

p.s. it would be helpful to know if the tank was previously used as a FO? Freshwater? FOWLR? In essence, are you certain no meds (e.g. copper) was ever dosed in the tank?

Good points phil. I thought about the Calfo overflow. That is something that I can do if I were to purchase the tank. The lighting that I would use on this would be the Aquactinics Constellations. That fixture has 14x39watts T5's. I would also have at least 2 inch deep sand bed. The tank was used for freshwater fish. The person also stated that he never used any medication. With the silicone. I was referring to the seams. It looks like its pealing off. That could be from cleaning it with a razor.

the seams look very ragged to me, It doesn't look to be in that great a shape for a tank only a year old. I've had tanks that were 10+ years old that looked to be in better shape. Me personally i wouldn't take the chance on the tank. good luck on whatever you decide to do

Harry

It really depends on the price, if it's cheap, holds water and doesn't leak..with a little work you can turn it into a great tank. 30" is a PITA to work with when you need to get to the bottom....Light will also be an issue at the bottom. I'd definitely use the holes already drilled for the return and put in one or two overflows. Like I already said, it really depends on the price.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
As a perfecto tank owner I can tell you I made my LFS bring in 3 differnt tanks for me and all of them had rough looking silicone seams.But knock on wood I have no leaks.

Well,a...um...maybe I shouldnt say but,I have a 90 gal,going to upgrade sometime soon and this tank has the same as far as the silicone being "in poor shape" I also have two chips on the sides..knock on wood..it still does well by me ..but would you want to get everything setup and rock,sand corals etc in place just to have a drip,stream and crash in the middle of the night? I kinda like living on the edge..lol ;D