• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zebrasoma flavescens & Zebrasoma veliferum

Both being Zebrasoma's, do you think that there will be issues housing a pair of yellow tangs started out as juveniles 1" or so with a Sailfin ? We already Have two 1" hippos. I know there is problems within the same genus sometimes. I'm slightly confused/worried at the moment

Agree with Jim that they'll be ok in a 220G but I think you should expect little nips and scratches from tang wars. Not sure if that will ever subside even after pecking order gets established.

ok. I originally expected this but figured i would ask. we're just waiting for the hippos to get a little bigger they were 3/4" when we got them and they are a little over 1" now. They sure do grow fast! :)

I can only tell you what I learned today from personal experience. I have a 180, and the Hippo was the firs tang in that tank. Then I added a Sailfin (Red Sea) and Scribbled Rabbitfish simultaneously. Them two acclimated together while leaning on each other, and have ever since hung out together. There was never any aggression between my Sailfin and my Hippo. Today, months later, I added a Whitefaced Tang (Acanthurus japonicus), who is only slightly smaller than my other 2 tangs.

I introduced him with the lights off. After an hour I turned only the blue lights on, and after "they" spotted the new guy on the block, all hell broke lose.

I held my breath and watched in agony as both my Sailfin and Hippo ganged up on my new Whiteface. It all took place where I couldn't really watch (behind the rocks), but each time one of the tangs would appear, they were all very, very dark in color (VERY p-o'ed).

It's been over 3 hours now since I added the new tang, and even though the chasing has calmed down somewhat, I am still holding my breath.

I did not expect the intro of the new (and according to books - the most aggressive type = Acanthurus) tang to be this dramatic.

Good luck!

If you add them together you will be better off then adding one at a time. I have also heard it is better to have odd numbers, so it would be three, five etc. Not speaking from experience here so someone else can chime in

at the moment there is 2 hippos 1 sailfin and soon 2 yellow tangs. I know some anthias and mandarins are going in, a Midas blenny or pair, a watchman goby of somesort.. I dunno about a pistol shrimp since i see what they are doing to the 55. this is a partial stocking list for that tank after its been running for a little bit.. i would like to see a pair of PBT's since camden aquarium can keep 15 of them in a tank almost the same size :)

youll have better odds of them not being picked on by adding two at the same time. as long as they have plenty of hiding spots they shouldnt mind eachother.

I added my naso and hippo together after their time in lockup together and they get along fine. But watch out the hippo's are correctly named they grow like crazy I have been more then a little surprised.

yea they are getting big.. its so funny to see them dash into the holes that are in some of the rock where it looks like someone used a drill bit, they fit perfect for now :) We added 5 chromis and 4 flame firefish so now the sailfin and the hippos stay out and swim around.