• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zoanthid Question

If zoas are on a disc, how do they grow beyond the disc, in other words do they spread out beyond the disc kind of like creating a mat ?

Thanks
Rich

Yes. The Zoas will multiply and grow beyond the disc. But they all grow at different speeds, so if they look nice expect them to take some time. From experience, they don't grow so well on sand, so mount the disc on a rock.

Keep adding disc to it :)

Like Mine

054copy.jpg

I have zoas on one disc (well actually its a concave deteriated seashell) that the zoas started growing over & under the disc when left on the sandbed. I cut and frag the overgrowth polyps when they start getting close to the edge. Another frag is actually an sps skeleton stalk (I call it my zoa log) which also has the zoas trying to grow all the way around. Again, cut and frag the polyps that are not on the top side. If/when they are left on a piece of live rock, they simply propagate on the rock. Its kinda neat when you remove the a circular disc, you have a donut colony of zoas which will eventually spread inward.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have some zoas on a disc and they will grow just fine on there. My one disc is sitting on top of a piece of liverock and they are just about to make the jump over to the liverock. I am looking foward to have them covering the liverock but it does take time.