• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zoas and 3rd graders

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I can't post the link, even as plain text. Go to Advanced Aquarist's Online magazine and read the article about the 3rd grade teacher
who had his students propagate Zoanthids.

Seriously so dangerous !I was just cleaning a zoa last night that thing squirted out at least 8inches away. Not good for little kids.

He did make them wear gloves and goggles but yes he certainly could have used maybe Kenya tree or something. Besides that though, this is pretty awesome. Its teachers like this that inspire kids

Sent from my Galaxy S4

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's the link...http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blo...gating-corals-but-perhaps-not-the-safest-kind
By the way, I really love that this teacher is teaching his students using a reef tank... but also disagree with his choice to use zoas as a propagation subject. Although they do tend to be a fast grower and can be a colorful animal to keep their interest... the palytoxins are way too dangerous to risk on young children. All it would take is for one kid to lift his goggles to see better and get a squirt in the eye. Kids just don't understand the dangers enough to fear the consequences.

Mushrooms, leathers, etc. would be a better choice to start with.

Last edited:
Preparing to be a teacher, there will definitely be a small tank in the classroom. However the students will learn about not touch it! Dangerous for the coral and students....great effort by the teacher tho...more teachers should incorporate things like this.