• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zoo help

hopefully.. there a zoo expert out there who can help. ive got a zoo colony that refuses to open. ive checked my water parameters and they are all good. is there some kinda trick i could try.. like moving them to higher flow or something? idk..

Definitely try changing the lighting and flow on them.

I have a zoa colony right now that has been closed for a long while.

Also make sure that they are clear from any fungus or possibly a predetor.

Good luck and keep us posted.

curt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
i think they need some flow not to much
i always start low and move them up. not all the way though
only time i had a problem with them i found a sundial snail
on them (must remove right away if you see one)
hope this helps

razorfingerz said:
less flow? more flow? less light more light?

Depends. Give us some details on your tank.

Size, Lighting, Flow, Tank Age, Stocking list, maybe a picture. All these will help get better answers.

its a 75g megaflow, 15 g sump, refugium. one hydor koralia 3 and one hydor koralia 4, 2x250w mh,as far as livestock goes, one yellow tang, one hippo tang, one sixline wrasse, one percula clown, one **** little damsel which i cant catch. since i upgraded from a 55 a while ago, (april i think) everything seemed to go downhill, lot of my zoos wont open and im starting to get pissed. since all of my water parameters have been good for a while.

ok.So 2 250w MHs seem to be a good amount of lite for a 75, I would keep the zoas down low. I have similar lighting on my 120 and all my zoas are on the bottom with the exception of a couple that are up high.

The flow seems to be good enough also. I would try to just keep changing the spots every couple of weeks until something shows signs of hope.

Don't get so frustrated. It happens to all of us.

You can also try an RODI fresh water dip. Match temp and Ph with RODI fresh water and put the zoas in there for about 15-25 minutes. It won't kill them but it could kill somethings that maybe on them and bothering them.

There's something I use called Seachem ReefBuffer. You would just bring the Ph up according to the directions on bottle.

I usually don't even test the Ph first I just kinda sprinkle a little buffer in the RODI and stir it up. Make sure the temp matches and plop it in while I watch an episode of "The Office" then when it's over I take it out and put it back in the tank. After a couple days it looks better.

I do this when I see signs of fungus or closed zoos. Another thing I add to the water if the fungus is eating the zoos is Furan-2.. but I hear that's hard to get these days.