• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zoos on live rock

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Random maybe stupid question:

I put a small zoo colony on a piece of live rock (about 20 polyps) which has now grown to over a 100 polyps and takes up a few square inches of the live rock. I know live rock hosts bacteria to help in filtration and the more surface area the better. My question is this: If the zoos take over live rock, do I lose that area of filtration and should add more? I know I should not be complaining about coral growing, but in a 12g nano I want all the filtration I can get.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The majority of the surface area of the live rock is not on the surface of the rock. It is extremely porous, with the majority of the surface area internal to the rock. The bacteria are still flourishing within the rock. Even completely covered, that rock is still a churning bacterial factory.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I figured as much, thank you both for the replies. You know what they say, there are no stupid questions just stupid people. :)