• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zoysia Grass

Here's an exciting topic. Has anybody here in NJ successfully replaced their lawn with Zoysia grass?
http://www1.zoysiafarms.com/
I have some problem spots on my property, and it's either zoysia or ASPHALT, but I don't know how well it works in Jersey.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My mother has it.... She doesn't really care for it and neither do I. It's coarse, crab grass like. Over time, it will take over the entire yard. It also gets tan/brown, dead looking in the winter. Although, it is very dense and green in the summer.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Zoysia does just fine in NJ…if you want that look. It will overgrow almost anything…and yes, it dies back on the first frost, turning tan/brown. One word of caution, it is a broad leaf grass and weed killers, like weed-be-gone (sp?), will kill Zoysia as well.

I never liked the Zoysia, like above its more like crab grass. I have been hearing more about a Canadian green that I've been meaning to research more but haven't yet. Its supposed to be even more tolerant to sever weather.

I know the look, and it's not great, but I have only one way to get though to the back yard on the side of the house, and every year I get grass growing there, and every year it gets trampled to death.
Additionally, the front yard by the street is sloped, and it's very hard to get the grass to look good here for any long period of time. The soil washes away. Our house is built on a rock slope with some dirt added; in most places you can't get a shovel more than 6" into the ground!

If it's not Zoysia I'm gonna have to go with hardscaping on the side of the house.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
If it's not Zoysia I'm gonna have to go with hardscaping on the side of the house.

Hey Jim
If you go the hardscape route let me know I can have crews theres to do it ;),if you want just lawn you can get high-traffic or playground seed I think lesco by us has both of them if you want I will check for you.For your front hill find a seed blend with a high percentage of red-creeping fescue it's both shade tolorant and forms a pretty dense mass.

smcooler

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
my whole front yard is zoysia, brown in the witer who really cares and sweet green all summer not a weed and thick as can be, i cut it once a month looks good till fall. The deer leave it alone too. Its a win win for me. ;D

stan

We planted I don't know HOW many plugs of Zoysia about 5 years ago. We stuck it/plugged it in between our other grass (a mix of several grasses). Can't honestly say it has taken over yet, even though we wish it had. We love the Zoysia grass. My BIL, in Brigantine, has it and it's by far the most luscious, greenest lawn I've ever seen in the spring/summer/fall (til frost). It only required cutting every 2 weeks, and it chokes out the weeds, like crabgrass. Who cares it turns tan/white in the fall/winter? It's not like you're cutting your lawn during that time anyway. ;)

It's also pretty soft to walk on barefooted. ;D Totally reminds me of Bermuda grass, which was the only grass we grew on our lawn in Oklahoma.

JerseyWendy said:
It's also pretty soft to walk on barefooted. ;D Totally reminds me of Bermuda grass, which was the only grass we grew on our lawn in Oklahoma.

You don't TALK like you're from Oklahoma...

I would recommend a Carl Spakcler hybrid:

This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff. ;)

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
blange3 said:
I would recommend a Carl Spakcler hybrid:

This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff. ;)

;D