• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

26Gallon Rimless with new Picasso pair

I'm keeping everything pretty simple. Display tank is 1/2" acrylic 20x20x15 from Advance Acrylic with 1" drains and 3/4" return. Flow is from MP10. Lighting is a cheap fishneedit 20k 150w MH. Sump is a basic 5.5g with diy baffles for fuge, bubble trap, and return. In sump I have a Eheim-Jager 150w heater, Rio 2100 for return pump, Bulk Reef ATO, and basic plumbing. There's 35lbs live sand and 30lbs totoka and figi live rocks. It's skimmerless and no dosing for now since I'm going for 20% weekly water changes. Also, I run a SpectraPure Plus RO/DI for my water change. I'm planning on adding some led moonlights and maybe some T5HO's down the line for full day/night lighting. What do you guys think? Did I overlook anything?

Tank looks good, clowns look awesome! I was contemplating these at Abs. Fish over the weekend "on sale" for 180.00
Very jealous! Only thing youre overlooking is an anenome no?

Looks great! Picasso Clowns are one of my favorite fish. Unfortunately I have the no vacancy (for fish) sign up for now in both my taks.

Thanks for the compliments guy. Yea I was contemplating on a nem but was afraid it might move around too much a sting other tank mates. But I think I might just go ahead and get a rbta in a few days:)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Don't know where you are located but Tropiquarium had beautiful GBTA in this week. I was this close to pulling mine out and buying a new one. They had some nice striped ones with pink tips and ones that look paint splattered.

I'm not sure where Trop is at but I'm in Princeton. Do you remember how much they are? If they are nice as you say I might have to take a ride there. I usually go to Hidden Reef or OC II.

Audi0s said:
Tank looks good, clowns look awesome! I was contemplating these at Abs. Fish over the weekend "on sale" for 180.00
Very jealous! Only thing youre overlooking is an anenome no?

wait were this price for a pair of grade A picasso clowns? or grade B picasso clowns? I am pretty sure ORA grades their picassos according to the same stats below. Places mean 1st stripe to body, body stripe to tail so in total of 4 possible connections.

Grade A assuming its other side has two stripes connecting. A's have additional white with one of the three stripes connecting on BOTH sides of the fish. A's have stripes connected on both sides, either 2 places or more.
The black color will develop as they mature and the 3rd stripe area near the tail may also continue to develop and spread.

example of a juvinile grade A
Grade%20A%20example.jpg

example of full mature grade A adult clowns.
Picasso-Picasso%20Offspring.jpg

Grade B's have either no stripes connected OR possibly ONE side that has connected stripes (unlike A's that must have stripes connected on both sides) The black color will develop as they mature and the 3rd stripe area near the tail may also continue to develop and spread. So B, white is not connecting in 2 or more places.
Grade%20B%20example.jpg

there's also the snowflakes, which are cool.
46434698.jpg

and the "snowcassos" breed of snowflake and picasso clowns, but i really cant tell the difference bt the snowflakes and snowcassos. prob depends on offspring or the fact that snowflakes are bred from only snowflakes?
20090531%20breeders%20(5).JPG

180 for a pair of grade A picassos is a steal you should jump on that asap. they normally sell for 150-225 for singles. grade b singles can sell for 50-75. snowflakes are like 400 a single. snowcassos were "invented" by woodstock, aka doni from reefsanctuary. she has her own site which imo has the best prices. just no warranty.

jle20007 said:
I'm not sure where Trop is at but I'm in Princeton. Do you remember how much they are? If they are nice as you say I might have to take a ride there. I usually go to Hidden Reef or OC II.

trops is on rt 35 in ocean township..

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Sorry I did not get back to you, www.tropiquarium.com is there website for address directions. BTAs where I think 60 but they have a 25% off sale on all livestock, corals and live rock. They have really nice stuff in right now, don't know if sale is going on might be worth a phone call and a trip on a saturday if you have the time.

mnat, thanks for the info. I might head over to Trop tomorrow if I have time. Hopefully the will still have the sale if I do stop by:) I'll keep you posted if I pick anything up.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I will be there tomorrow as well. They are getting in maximas today and daddy needs a clam.

Nice tank. I like the top down pic. I had the Grade B clown once but they never made it. I think they were wild caught. I do miss them. They don't need an anenome to survive. You can also get a frogspawn.

Mnat, I'll be there around 2-2:30 so maybe I'll see you there. I'm the asian guy with the BMW Z4. I hope you're right about the rbta..I will get one today if they have nice colors ;D

Thanks ricwilli, I like the my scape and the top down looks much better in person. The pics were taken with my iphone so pics are crappy. I need to get a new camera since I took my last one diving and the case leaked busting my camera up :(

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I heard through the grapevine that someone bought an anem today at Trop, I hope that was you.