• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

26Gallon Rimless with new Picasso pair

Mnat, yes that was me..it was beautiful under my 20k 150w MH. However for the bad news, the nem somehow got detached from a rock that it was on last night and got sucked into my MP10. I usually run the MP10 at 80% reef crest. But since I new the nem might be moving around I turned the MP10 down to less than 10% lagoon mode and yet this still happened. I woke up this morning to see the MP10 impeller housing(water side) on the bottom of my tank and the tank is cloudy :mad: Than I saw my nem :'( Well here's the pics of it now..you guys think it has any chance of survival? I have it in a breeder box inside the main tank with hopes that it may recover but I am doubting it since I can see parts of its intestine. By the way I did score 2 nice corals (bright pink/purple milli and a neon green acro).

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Keep an eye on him, do a water change and add some carbon which will help with your water quality. We had an anem walk around our 20g and settle on a heater which nuked it. I know the feeling. I know in this hobby I have yelled stupid fish/anem many a times at the tanks and for some reason they don't understand me.

Yeah, I'm doing a small 10% water change since I just did a 20% change yesterday. Do you think this is enough or should I up it to 20-25%? Keeping my fingers crossed but I guess only time will tell. And yes I was yelling at the nem while my fiance was laughing at me for talking to my nem and tank. Go figure. Well if it doesn't go well I may have to stop by Trop next week when since they might be getting a true rbta. Does the nem really have a chance if it is chewed up this bad?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Keep a really close eye on it, if you have a seperate container to put him in that would help, if it dies you don't want it to die in your tank.

I took him out of the main tank and had him in a little container but than a few people over nano-reef pointed out that its more stable in the main tank. So I currently have him back the main tank inside the breeder box. I'll just keep checking on him from time to time to make sure he's not falling apart and smelling bad..if so than I'll know he's dead and take him out. By the way did you get your clam mnat? I saw the croceas and maximas and they looked sweet. I really like them and want one or two as well but I'll wait till my tanks a bit more established..maybe another 4-6 months. Anyhow, that was good deal with 25% off all livestock. Thanks for passing along the word.

if you are in princeton - isn't going to tinton falls out of your way? I would consider stores like allquatics or the hidden reef closer. Mind you I have never been to either so not sure if they would be better than trop (been there).

Sorry to hear about the accident with the anem.

Yeah it was about an hour with lite traffic. I actually made the trip because I like to check out what other stores have as far as variety goes and also the 25% off was an incentive too. I usually go to Hidden Aquarium most of the time, and have gone to Allquatics but they are small and hit or miss on there stock.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We picked up a sweet teal blue maxima and a pearlberry frag as well.

Nice score mnat. I saw the pearlberry too and it looked great. I think there was 2 of them. I might grab one if I'm back this week. You should post a pic of your find ;) As for the nem, he is not doing so well. He's starting to fall apart but hasn't begin to smell yet so I'm still trying to keep him alive. I moved him to a 2.5g quarantine tank I set up using water from the main tank late last night. Water is stable so we will see how long he hangs on. My main tank is back to normal now with all sps showing full polyp extensions so that's a relief.

sorry to hear about the nem. by the way - has anyone asked if you are interested in joining the club as a member? we are having a club meeting on the 14th and it would be a great way to meet people. Maybe after the meeting if you think the club is an organization worth supporting you could sign up. It's $12 and a great way to show your support for our mission statement of educating others on conservation of the reef.

Sorry, to hear about the nem. That is one of the biggest reason why I do not get one. I am afraid that it will get caught in one of my pumps. They are beautiful though. Are you going to try one again?

Hawkey - I would love to come to the meetings and perhaps join the club but I'm sitting in Newark as a airport ready crew today so I don't think I will be able to go. Unfortunately as a rather junior member on our pilot seniority list, I am on a reserve schedule from month to month so I usually miss all the good events :-\ But I will try to make one of the meetings if I have off.

Ricwilli - Yes I do plan to try again with a rbta. But not for a few weeks as I want to let my tank stabilize and settle a bit. Also, my fiancee and I are leaving for a dive trip in Cozumel this Wednesday so definitely no new additions this week.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Vortech does make mesh coverings for their pumps if you decide to get another RBTA. Have fun in Mexico, check it out when you get back.

Mnat - yeah I did find out about the cover just last week. The mesh did come with my mp10 and was just sitting in the box this entire. But it's on now and I'm leaving on since my cleaner shrimp likes to hang out close to the wave action. At least I know I should be ok with the next nem. Will let you guys know when I get back next week.

Yes I have had two small scratches on the acrylic. But that was dues to the rocks accidentally falling when I was scaping the tank. Luckily it is on the bottom back side so not noticeable. Remember you have to be very carefully or it will scratch. Just make sure you get the acrylic mag-float if you are using a magnet cleaner. And when you are cleaning with the mag-float close to the bottom of the tank, be sure to check now and again that there is no sand stuck in between the mag-float since this will scratch the inside too. Also, you can get acrylic buffer kits to buff the scratches. If it is on the outside, I've heard you can buff using car brake cleaner also. Hope this helps.

Very nice looking tank,I really like your rockwork . It will look great when its all grown in and still has the open areas .
I also had an anemone try to stop a vortec ,it was a large carpet and the mp40 was on 100%,no chance at all . I added a gbta and all is well now .
I just lowered the pumps for a while to let it get a good footing and then slowly raised them back to normal .
On a side note, clowns love to jump and everytime I've had a jumper my night led lights were on. I see you mentioned adding some,just be careful when you do .
I no longer run the leds at night and have not had a jumper since,clownfish and jawgish included .