• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

39 gallon nano setup

Looks good Olivier, did you etch the rock? Are you going bare bottom?
right now, I cycle the tank and clean the rock so bare bottom to get a lot of flow. when it is all done cycled and rock is cleaned, I then go with 2" of fine sand + rough coral crush .

Looks great Olivier. What is mine is yours. Pick a day to come visit us & cut some frags.
Do steer away from crushed coral, go for fiji pink & your nutrient levels (long term) will be soooo much better in the nano.

Looks great Olivier. What is mine is yours. Pick a day to come visit us & cut some frags.
Do steer away from crushed coral, go for fiji pink & your nutrient levels (long term) will be soooo much better in the nano.

NikkiT,
thank you for your advise. where can I buy the Fiji Pink sand? what is it special about this sand? how many inches should I use? I right now plan to use 2 to 3 inches max. I plan to built my own sump/refugium so some sand will be in refugium as well.

You can get it at most places. Fosters and smith online has it for about $20 a bag with free shipping over $49. Their salt is pretty cheap too. They get a lot of my business because they don't charge extra shipping for the heavy stuff.

I tried to get my tank fill with water and start the rock cleaning and cycling process but I am runnning late on my planning.
Current Status:
- got the tank plumping done
- almost done with build a extended box/stand next to the display stand to house electrical extension outlets and any electronic device
- completed the custom plexiglass sump that fitted into my display stand. sump with 3 chambers and 2 baffles. 1 chambers is for the return pump, 1 chambers is for macro algae and/or sand bed with mangrove, 1 chambers is for skimmer and filter sock.
I will post pictures tonight if I am free :(

Planning:
week 01/05/2014:
- clean my ro/di collecting bucket and start collect fresh ro/di. salt mix this week
- fill the system with tap water to test the system for leak, defect clog etc.
- finish the extended box/stand
- fill up the tank with saltwater
week 01/19/2014:
-
setup lightning
- build the hood to house the light.

stay tune... I wish I could clone myself to 3 more angry asian in order to achieve everything on time. :( (Actually i had sucessfully clone 2 of angry asian, however, they still small and not angry. wrong DNA :))

i have alot of stuff from my 180 gallons system in my garage. light, t5 fixture, skimmer, reactor, metal halide fixture, ballast, reflector, pumps, heater. anyone want to buy ? I need to free up space in my tightly pack garage

6544d12526a82ce93dd938457aa39c6f_zps58fb6a9d.jpg

08630acc1d33efe2205c139da1c9e84f_zpsd3ed8557.jpg

cbc06c2d43b94e18c23aa8b5beb91f0d_zps8b41834a.jpg

91ee89b6dd2ce6b6ba7a70f9f61ea2e6_zpsb8832074.jpg

image_zps5f286745.jpg

so far, I am falling behind on my schedule.
first the pump that I use to run on my 180 isn't good for this stand due to limited space, it echoed and noisy. I then switch to different pump and it is better.
the pipe is not that great and cause a lot of vibration so I switch to 1.5" pvc in return and add more airline so it does not has the gurgle effect (toilet flush) from the glass-hole overflow. Now the skimmer, I have been looking, searching, reading, internally yelling and screaming but still can not find a replacement of the aquabee pump which is UP 2000. Actually I found a place from UK sell it for $150 + shipping cost (hell with it) then I head to a direction that replace the pump with something else. again, I hit the dead end. not really dead dead end but channel to a dark alley. as of right now, I am thinking of getting a small pump like http://www.aquacave.com/Reef-Octopu...p-P1168.aspx?gclid=CNCy0e_26LwCFYEDOgodhyAAiw and modded it work with the skimmer OR buy a new skimmer. there is two options with new skimmer. 1) SWC Cone Extreme 120 with the footprint that very very tight fit 6.5" x 7". I don't know what side is 6.5" and what side is 7" my skimmer chamber is 6.75" x 16". But where is the 6.5" on the skimmer ? anyone has a picture that illustrate this ? the second option is the either bubble magus 3.5 skimmer or a similar seaside aquatic CS 5.
anyone please recommend me what should I do with the skimmer? buy a pump and modded it to fit into the existing skimmer or just bloody hell buy a new skimmer? I am at the cross road right now.

by the way, I expect the answer NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW... J/K

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would not buy an SWC until they identify and replace the Atman pump. Atman is out of business and their pumps will no longer be available. For some reason SWC has been dragging their feet in finding a replacement. For those of use with current Atman pumps, we will most likely have to buy a conversion kit to fit whatever pump they eventually identify. Bubble Magus has already done this conversion with the NAC 6 that once used an Atman as well.....and it costs $100 for the conversion kit.

Update;
My tank has been cycled and will be finish at the end of 1 week in May.
I will need some good sand to put in the tank at of now. I need some on the sump and some in the display tank.
any recommend where can I buy sand locally?

@ Redfishbluefish; Mr. Paul, you need to help me to silence my glass-hole overflow chamber noise. if it possible one of those day on your way from soccer game, please stop by. I has been restlessly try to improve it and nothing help. I try with 1.5" piping to 2" with titling to get laminated flow and still noisy then I add the durso kinda and still noisy, reduce my flow to 160gph and still noisy. i don't know what else to do.
Olivier

Update;
My tank has been cycled and will be finish at the end of 1 week in May.
I will need some good sand to put in the tank at of now. I need some on the sump and some in the display tank.
any recommend where can I buy sand locally?

@ Redfishbluefish; Mr. Paul, you need to help me to silence my glass-hole overflow chamber noise. if it possible one of those day on your way from soccer game, please stop by. I has been restlessly try to improve it and nothing help. I try with 1.5" piping to 2" with titling to get laminated flow and still noisy then I add the durso kinda and still noisy, reduce my flow to 160gph and still noisy. i don't know what else to do.
Olivier

Reefrocks online has good sand, I use it in my 180 gallon.

To silent your glassholes overflow you can try using enkamat and one of their acrylic covers to place over the top of the hole.

If you need help moving anything let me know, glad to see you back!

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What size overflow do you have? By the way, I'm not an expert on noisy Glass-Holes overflows, since mine never had the noise problem. Anyway, give me details of yours and pictures of the plumbing, and I'll see what I can do.

The first thing I'd want you to check is to make sure you installed the baffles inside the overflow. Without them water would go through too quickly....making noise.

EDIT TO ADD: Just went back and looked at older posts and found this:

6544d12526a82ce93dd938457aa39c6f_zps58fb6a9d.jpg

If this is your setup, the first problem I see is that you reduced the pipe size right at the first elbow.....can't do that. Has to remain the original size of the elbow all the way down.