• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

7.5 gallon zoanthid tank

Long time reefer, New to the forum.

Just wanted to say hi and share a photo of my latest creation which is still a work in progress.

It's a deep blue 7.5 gallon 12 inch cube with a 5.5 gallon sump.

It has an ai prime light and will be mainly zoanthid dominant with a few lps here or there.

Thanks for looking.

ChrisIMG_20160226_201937_235-01~2.jpeg IMG_20160224_193814.jpg

Thanks. Since I used an old 20L stand, I've been playing with the idea of moving this one over and putting a second tank next to it plumbed into the same sump and just have ricordea in it.

Great looking tank. I'm new to both NJ and this club since I just moved here about 2 weeks ago. I also am running an all zoa tank with an AI Prime light. My tank is the Fluval Spec V AIO tank. My zoas are not as grown out as yours since I have only had this tank up and running since mid Feb. What are your settings for your prime? image1(1).JPG

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Great looking tank. I'm new to both NJ and this club since I just moved here about 2 weeks ago. I also am running an all zoa tank with an AI Prime light. My tank is the Fluval Spec V AIO tank. My zoas are not as grown out as yours since I have only had this tank up and running since mid Feb. What are your settings for your prime? View attachment 12819
Welcome!!! The tank looks great! You should start a tale of the tank thread to track the progress.

Welcome!!! The tank looks great! You should start a tale of the tank thread to track the progress.
Thank you! I have been tinkering with the mods to this Spec V. I'm also on the Nano-Reef.com forum with the same name. I have put some progress on there too in the Fluval Spec forum.

Does anyone recommend any specific LFSs in southern Jersey or the Philly area? I really don't want to rely on a Petco.....

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Down south you're kind of limited. Reefabout in ventnor is great but may be a bit of a ride for you. There's also ultimate corals in Jackson. Hidden reef and fish factory are in Levittown but I don't know much about them.

Nice. I never considered the idea of coral and no fish. I already have fish, so it's too late for me to do that, but realy cool.

Wow really nice tanks the both of you. Love zoas and nanos so this is right up our alley.
It's hard to stick to only zoas. I do enjoy some leathers and birds nest corals along with Acans! All of those would not be too difficult to keep, but would out grow the tank really soon, except the acans. Yet, I do want to see what a zoa garden would look like in this tank.

I'm thinking of getting one small fish for the nano after I take my two weeks in April.

Here are some updates on my little Fluval Spec V reef. I just got the new Smart ATO Micro in and installed it today. It looks great and seems perfect for this style of tank. I was using the Tunze Nano ATO, which is a great ATO but too big really for this tank. (pics included)
Smart ATO.pngSmart ATO 2.png image1.png

Looking good. I broke away from just zoa's & added a couple Lps. I hope there not too aggressive for my small tank. I have them spaced out a bit, and they haven't bothered anything so far. BTW. Anyone have any experience with blue snowflake polyp's? They seem to be growing over some of my zoa's. Can they be contained? or should I remove them before its too late.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 5
No personal experience but from what I've read the snowflake polyps are fast growing and will need to be maintained to avoid a takeover... I have zoas right up against my acans that slowly get smothered too. I recently picked up a couple of small, less than an inch, fish that would be great for your tank. Masked goby and red spotted goby
f8c8090a3d7e362693d9030ba02f106a.jpg
aeba1cb0a610c2c5ca77518a4935dee7.jpg