• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

8 gal pico

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Well I've been wanting to do it for a while now so today I wasn't feeling well and didn't go in to work so I ran over to petco and picked up a Aqueon evolve 8
I got it home and unpacked it and found the tank was damaged and had to run to a different Petco and grab a new one. Well the tank itself isn't the best quality but for its size I think it will work just fine.
I decided I wasn't going to use the filter pad that comes with it so I altered the built on filter box.
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y518/ruliano/null_zps664577d3.jpg[/url]

I heated up a screwdriver and melted holes in the bottom of the box and have decided I will fill it with rubble, chemipure, and a bit of filter

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y518/ruliano/null_zps4a4ebc95.jpg

The holes look square but they are round the slots in the screw driver made them look that way

I decided to go with black sand and the only one they had was live I don't know if it really works but it doesn't matter because I won't be putting any fish in the tank for a long while.
I figure I will just run it with some hermit crabs and a couple snails for now.
I took some rock which has been in my DT sump for a couple months and break it into some small pieces and build a structure

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y518/ruliano/null_zps2cd2eec9.jpg

It took longer then it looks like it should have :)
So here it is with sand and rock

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y518/ruliano/null_zps7070c3d7.jpg

Filled up and running

http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y518/ruliano/null_zpsb477185f.jpg

I think I will buy a new light, maybe someone has a link to a decent one, I really don't want to spend a ton of cash remember this is just an experiment to me right now.
Also I think a tiny powerhead would be nice I need help with that to if any one knows of one

My goal is to keep simple things mushrooms, shrimp, goby maybe, and zooanthids

Does any one know why when I add these photos from photo bucket I'm getting a link and not the actual picture I'm using an I pad not a computer could that be the reason?

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I've been thinking about doing something like this myself. I look forward to your updates. Best wishes.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Generally in a tank that size the return pump is all you need. The only powerhead that would really fit in there without taking up the whole tank is an mp10 which would probably be overkill and not within reason.

A clip on par38 bulb would probably be plenty and are nice looking:
http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic...f_Aquariums-Ecoxotic-XX06850-FILTBULD-vi.html

Kessil or kessil style lights would work as well (I am sure you can find knock off of the two I just brought up for cheaper than what I am posting, just giving ideas).

Get some filter floss (the cheap stuff) and throw a square of that in the top of the back chamber. When you do water changes every week, just throw it out and add another square. That is really helpful with keeping detritus out of the tank. We are fans of chemi pure elite which has some carbon and phosban type materials in it which help out. We replace that about monthly in our 12g. The biggest thing that has helped our nanos be successful was doing weekly 10% water changes. You are going to have to be careful if you go without a lid (I am not sure if it comes with one but I would highly recommend using it is it does) as evaporation in a nano can swing salinity very quickly. People have done fine with it, but you just have to check it regularly.

I love the black sand, and that piece of rock fits almost too perfectly in there. We will have to update our nano soon.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
looking good Rob!

I pm'd you a link to a person selling a Kessil A150W, i know you werent looking for something expensive but thought i should share it in case you might be interested. Also, try ebay for some Par38 bulbs, they definitely have some worthy bulbs just need to weed out the not soo good ones. ReefBreeders also have the gooseneck for $25 for the heavier Par38 bulbs.

Nice looking nano Rob. The rick structure is dead on with fit, great work on that. I think the others hit on the light, a par 30 or 38 would work perfectly there, and as Judeo mentioned they can be found pretty cheap on eBay or even some if the for sale forums on R2R and RC. As for the powerhead if you decide you need one check out the koralia nano, it is pretty small and in that tank would add plenty of flow.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Looking good, I have a extra par 38 with a gooseneck I'd let you have for a decent price or trade.
I also rcomend upgrading the stock return pump to a MaxiJet 900 and adding the hydor rotating deflector, personally the koralia nano 240 is much to weak I'd get at least the 425 if not 2, or a single MP10.

Take a look a my tank thread I just posted.

Good Luck

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Sounds like a lot of flow, right now I have the standard return and a koilla nano and I can't keep the sand from blowing up off the bottom. I think I will upgrade the return and try to eliminate the powerhead all together. It really takes away from the look of a very small talk. I would rather only keep things that require slow flow then have a tank that's cluttered up with pumps. Thanks for the imput. I just got a par 38 bulb and need a goose neck I will try to get one today after I get back from work.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Sounds like a lot of flow, right now I have the standard return and a koilla nano and I can't keep the sand from blowing up off the bottom. I think I will upgrade the return and try to eliminate the powerhead all together. It really takes away from the look of a very small talk. I would rather only keep things that require slow flow then have a tank that's cluttered up with pumps. Thanks for the imput. I just got a par 38 bulb and need a goose neck I will try to get one today after I get back from work.

The deflector greatly reduces the flow of the return pump but it adds some nice wavey flow that my corals really like.
I just picked up a MP10 today so I'll be removing the 2 power heads I currently have and replacing them with just the MP10 which should look much better.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Little update on the pico progress, well everything seems to be doing pretty good (fingers crossed) I tried the par 38 bulb and wasn't really happy so I took one of my Chinese LEDs and have it over the tank. The fixture is 120 watts but is
dim able so I have it dialed way back, I think it looks pretty good. It is just blue and white but I'm happy with the color.
Also I added some rubble from my sons 20 gal nano and some filter floss. I took the deflector off the return and the flow seems to be a bit better. I still think I will upgrade to a larger return pump.

null_zpsfa694dd8.jpg

I also added a couple corals
If you look really close on the bottom left, the Zoanthids are the ones for the grow out. I figured why not. :grin:

Looks great. I mentioned it before also but why not again. The rock sculpture came out perfect. I don't think it could possibly fit any better.

On to the light. If you don't mind spending a bit of money a AI Nano would fit that perfectly possibly a razor nano also. Again they both can be a bit pricy especially new.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Thanks John, I appreciate the kind words I'm really happy with the way the rock came out I learned a lot about how to create rock shapes. I will use that learned knowledge in my next aqua scape when I up grade from the 90 to ? :)
As far as the light I'm happy for now I can't see spending all that cash on the AI or razor when the Chinese looks that good and was pretty cheap and I already own it. Maybe if I can find a good deal on a used one.

Ls2Goat

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Looking good man, I'm digging the black sand with the scape.
The PAR bulbs are a hit or miss as no two manufacturers are the same. I ended up getting 2 different bulbs and having them the angled in from each side of the tank to get the look I liked before going with the DIY LED's I have now.