• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

8 gal pico

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Just a little update, I received my new light in the mail yesterday a beamworks 9-1 watt led. It looks good I'm not to sure it will be enough for the sps but if it not ill either move them out or get the brighter version 6- 3 watt led. I also developed some hair algae, I'm not to worried just yet I'm gonna run some GFO and see if it helps. I'm changing a gallon a week and hardly feed, maybe just a pinch every couple days for the hermit and the dunkin. I'm wondering why I have it at all.
I have been trying to find some nice ricordia but have been coming up empty anyone want to part with some let me know.
Here is the latest pic
null_zpse668390b.jpg

I love your aquascape !! And the more I see the black sand in tanks the more I regret not doing black sand for my biocube.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
loving he pico Rob! that rock really just matches that tank so perfectly! let me know how those lights work for you. I'm thinking of grabbing those or the 3w version for the refugium/frag section of the sump.

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Looking good!! I'm think about getting the evolve 4 and trying to do something with that. I figure for 20 bucks what is the worse thing that could happen.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I like it, I am in the process of upgrading the return pump to get more flow without adding a power head.
Also the light upgrade looks to be doing good still to early to tell though. Maybe for a planted fresh you could keep the tank as is. I also did a mod on the filter so not to use the little pad and carbon thing it comes with.
Here are some new pics I added a few more things, still waiting for my goby and shrimp to come in.

Does anyone think I can put more then one shrimp in there with the tiger shrimp and Yasha goby? I only have one hermit in there now and a couple snails. Some input please, thanks

null_zps464a8a57.jpg

null_zpsf42479bc.jpg

null_zps7a3488fb.jpg

null_zps2ebd8146.jpg

null_zps6785f25b.jpg

Thanks for looking:)

Loving what you have done with it.
Gorgeous.
You should be able to do 3-4 snails and 3-4 hermits.
I would go for a small group of sexy shrimp (3-5) if I were you.
You should also be OK with a cleaner shrimp in that space, a pair of peppermints, or some of the smaller dwarf shrimp like anenome shrimp or bumblebee shrimp.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Oh it all sounds so good lol more decisions. I'm really enjoying the tank in the bed room to I wasn't sure I would enjoy it there but it's really small and get to look at it before bed. I have the light cycle to go off just after We hit the rack :)

We have our nano's light cycle programed the same way :)
Similar style of tank 12g JBJ with LPS and NPS and a few small fish.
We have a tiger pistol, a magnificent goby, a green banded goby, a pompom crab, and a candy basslet in our 12g and I love it.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
There here! Finally picked up my tiger shrimp and goby.
I was looking for the Yasha but saw this guy at ACC today and he was sold!

null_zpsf694d439.jpg

He's digging already

null_zps6610afa4.jpg

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I hope they do well I really like the pair a lot.

I up graded my return today as well. I went from the stock pump to a maxi jet 400 it looks to be about twice the water movement. Defiantly no need for any additional power head.
I also added a couple acan frags and a purple digi from the frag rack. (Remnants from Dan) man that digi seems to go on and on and on.............. Thanks Dan!! :rolleyes: lol
Whole tank shot tomorrow

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Well it's been a month time for an update.
The tank is doing well I wish I could say the same for its inhabitants. The high fin goby somehow took a dive out of a tank that has a cover go figure. The pistol shrimp is still in there but I don't see him, every once and a while I see a feeler poking from under a rock. The other shrimp doesn't really eat very well it moves around a lot but seems to miss all of the food. It's still alive so I guess it's eating something.
The new addition to the tank dotty back is great! It is always out eats Locke crazy and looks really good.
The corals and shrooms are all doing well.
I have to say this little tank has its own challenges, simple things like every time I stick my hand in there it nearly overflows the tank, when I clean the glass it's like a tidal wave in there and splashes all over the place man it can be a pain.
All and all it's hard but I still like it so I will continue with it.
I really can't believe the coral it seems to be doing very well how I don't know. All I do is change a gallon or two a week and that's it. O I do run a little carbon and GFO to keep the phosphate down.
Well here is the last pic taken tonight.

null_zps208199f8.jpg

Looks cool man. Would have been better if this was a nice 30g oceanic cube lol jk. I am feelin the sand choice and the cool macro algae.