• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

90 Gallon build

Well as I said I would make a post about the 90 gallon that I built.
It all started with this 55 gallon FOWLR tank that I found on Craigslist. I picked it up for $200 bucks and it included everything. All I had to do was go meet the guy and get a crash course on how to maintain a fish tank. We have never owned a fish tank before. The guy and his wife were really nice and must have spent two hours explaining everything to us as we broke the tank down in his living room.
IMG_0335.jpg
This is it after we got it home and set it up. It didnt last very long before I wanted to add coral to the tank. I ended up ditching the canister filter that originally came with the tank in favor of a HOB protien skimmer. I also aquired a T5 light setup for coral.
IMG_0444.jpg
I was pretty set with just having the tank with fish and coral in it. But it got to be a chore pouring water in the top of the tank everyday. I wanted some sort of ATO. This is what got me looking for a new tank with a sump.
So I turned to Craigslist again to find another tank. I found this 90gal with a 40gal sump. I was only after the tank but the guy talked my wife into also buying his LED lights that could be any color she wanted them to be! I was shocked my wife has never been interested in this hobby and now I have to green light to buy expensive lights and a new tank. Here it is in the spot it was going. This was a huge chore and took most of one day. This is the same spot the 55gal was sitting. I had to drain/move/refill the 55gal and then set this one in place.
IMG_0452.jpg
I ordered new marine seleant and resealed it.
IMG_0456.jpg
I started pulmbing the sump. In this picture you can see that most of the baffles are broken. I ran it this way for awhile.
IMG_0461.jpg
I ordered a sheet of acrylic and cut the baffles to size. I didnt need the whole 40 gal sump so I sectioned off a portion for my ATO. It is roughly 5 gal and lasts about a week.
IMG_0550.jpg
IMG_0667.jpg
IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0668.jpg
IMG_0669.jpg
I also need to find a way to hang these new lights. My wife was ok with the lights just didnt not want to see cables hanging from the ceiling. So I cut a couple pieces of wood to length and attached them to the inside of the canopy. I then took some aluminum flat pieces of metal and attached them to the lights. They basically just sit in the canopy. Kind of a PITA if I want to remove the canopy. I need to lift the lights out first.
IMG_0662.jpg
And finally here are some of my inhabitants.
IMG_0670.jpg
IMG_0671.jpg
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0677.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg
IMG_0637.jpg
IMG_0617.jpg

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Very nice! Great progression through the tanks. Love all the diy work you did, great job. Can't wait to see more.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Nice system, I like the light hanging solution, sweet and simple. I'll be tagging along.

Thanks guys. Thats the quickest and easiest way I could come up with hanging the lights. It actually works out pretty well. I can slide them around and place them where I want. I placed the two long boards that go all the way across narrow enough that the lights can never fall in.
IMG_0680.jpg
IMG_0681.jpg