• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae scrubber

Interested in setting up a algae scrubber. Looking to stay under $100 and fine with diy. Who is running one and what works for you. So many opinions online I don't even know where to start.

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The water flowing down the white craft sheet hitting water in sump..

Even though I always speak highly of it Chaeto still just hates me, so decided to try instead the DIY scrubber in vid on this thread placed overtop dysfunctional fuge. Since its basement sump Im not overly concerned of noise, unless it's extreme.
Ordered the screen today from SMF...also learned of from here. I think Ive got most the rest of stuff lying around here somewhere plus there's an unused port in my manifold that wants to do something constructive. I'll throw try to throw some pics up along the way for those playing along at home.

Crude but hopefully effective...will see in a couple week. First impression is its a little prone to minor splashing; not sure yet if I will be bothered by that.
Would have stayed under budget except wife must have borrowed the PVC cement and forgot to close the cap tightly.

IMG_0323.jpg IMG_0324.jpg IMG_0326.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Crude but hopefully effective...will see in a couple week. First impression is its a little prone to minor splashing; not sure yet if I will be bothered by that.
Would have stayed under budget except wife must have borrowed the PVC cement and forgot to close the cap tightly.

View attachment 17270 View attachment 17271 View attachment 17272
They have these plastic drop lamps now, to replace the metal when it rusts. I believe they are the home depot brand

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Is anyone still running a skimmer along with their algae scrubber? I'm thinking of turning my PS off

still running both, never really considered going skimmerless. Algae on the screen has been slow just now picking up but along with the DT

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I upgraded to a larger unit about 3 weeks ago. I have it on a 20hr cycle 20171205_185537.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Not at all, it's just GHA, I'm gonna harvest it tomorrow. I got stung by a bristleworm when I was pulling it out....for some reason they like to hang out there