• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae scrubber

I've been using homemade scrubbers for almost 10 years when nobody really used them. Even my lfs thought it was a silly idea, but my tanks never looked better. Stopped using them a few years ago when I got my Red Sea Max figuring I would go with their equipment...but just built & installed a new scrubber yesterday! Looking forward to seeing the results!!!

I have one I DO use on and off until my chaeto decides to start living and not melting on me all the time.... another that is completely unused by 302 aquatics that I don't want if anyone is interested for a good deal.... I think it's good for up to a 100-125 tank.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Scrubbers are great. The first 15 years (up until I replaced the tank itself last year), I was running my entire drain flow over a DIY scrubber. No corals, only fish inverts etc, I would change my water once or twice a year.

I didn’t do it this build, I didn’t want to clean the screen, it was a chore on my last build. I didn’t know about the commercial units available, which are very nice, albeit expensive for what they are.