• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Any 3D Printer Fanatics - in the house

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hey Guys... Because of @Hockeynut, @mikem, @redfishbluefish and other DIYers... Ive gotten into the bad habit of bending my environment to my will. If i want a wall mount drill holes, if i want it custom sized build. I've gotten very handy over the years thanks to the REEF club. I do Carpentry, Plumbing, minor electric and recently hardwired my entire house!! Now because of COVID, Im working from home and the site if all the wires around my working station is horrible. So i decided to mount my Docking station under my desk and route the wires. Of course my station has no screw holes for mounting and I wont drill it .... this time. So it brings me to the title and the 20th century version of DIYers.

3d printers!!!

I found this on the internet and given the ability for people to make things out of thin air now, I want to beam up a few of my DIY projects. so im now considering a 3d printer any thoughts or enthusiast out there. The possibilities are endless between APEX mounting brackets or needles for trident or a cable cradle for routing wires.

and my oldest son would enjoy it since he is into robotics.... (sorry that is for the wife.... starting to plead my case :) )

Darn all DIYers that made off-shelf a bad thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
In my opinion we will all have 3D printer at home in the future. Printer prices keep coming down. Right now they are still too expensive. I am waiting for the technology to get better and cheaper.

Can’t say I’m very good at it. But I love 3D printing. It’s fun to “ Create“ stuff I have made dozens of little things. In some cases would have been simpler and possibly cheaper to just go on amazon. But there is a certain satisfaction creating your own stuff. Recently I made a set of supports for my tanks mesh top. now I am making a light support for Paulies seahorse tank (see pictures below) even printed the screws holding the bracket together 10F51B40-69A5-4FF2-BBA4-555F594DF415.jpegA72E925E-D979-418D-96E1-791466177C0E.jpeg

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Did you print that mesh stuff too ?

Did you print that mesh stuff too ?
No. Can’t print the mesh because the build plate size. 3D printing is cool and all. But there are some large limitations. For one. It takes a really long time to print stuff. Longer than most might imagine. Also the size of the object you can print is limited to size of the machine your willing to have in your house. And finally. The “home” versions that the average person can afford uses basically soft plastic. To print with metal or carbon fiber or fiberglass. Requires very expensive machines. Still... with that said. There is a lot you can do with them. And if you are a person who likes to tinker, are not in a rush and can handle a lot of trial and error. 3D printing is pretty cool

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
They look pretty similar any recommendations

Can’t say I’m very good at it. But I love 3D printing. It’s fun to “ Create“ stuff I have made dozens of little things. In some cases would have been simpler and possibly cheaper to just go on amazon. But there is a certain satisfaction creating your own stuff. Recently I made a set of supports for my tanks mesh top. now I am making a light support for Paulies seahorse tank (see pictures below) even printed the screws holding the bracket together View attachment 30924View attachment 30925
I see where you’re going with that design and I like the idea very clever

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Hey E, what one did you go with?
I've been researching like nuts and I think I'm going with the Ender 3 v2.
I was really tempted to go with a resin printer due to the detail, but the size limitations put me off (though I probably will pick one up for doing miniatures in the future).

And if any of you guys have a recommendation on which fiber is quality and works well, please let me know. :)

Hey E, what one did you go with?
I've been researching like nuts and I think I'm going with the Ender 3 v2.
I was really tempted to go with a resin printer due to the detail, but the size limitations put me off (though I probably will pick one up for doing miniatures in the future).

And if any of you guys have a recommendation on which fiber is quality and works well, please let me know. :)
Much to fancy for me,, but could you make me a whistle

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
ive been overwhelmed by the choices. I was leaning toward that one too.... Mark. So i think you just convinced me to pull the trigger and Sponge is so close i can by beer and pizza and get some 1on1 tips from him. When you pulling trigger @Mark_C

I use two. Ender 3’s with modifications. (Upgrades). It is a very nice printer and for the money. It may be about the best you can buy. I can tell you I am getting an Ender 6 to replace one of them. But if I had to do it all over. Right now I would get the Ender 5. For a few very simple reason that I will do my best not to over explain. :oo:
The five has a slighter larger build plate than the 3. I can’t tell you how often that has been an issue. Ecam, the PC holder I printed for you was at the maximum size I can print with the 3. I had to lie to the software and have it print out side the designated plate.
More importantly the three prints on a side mounted arm and the hot end moves up away from the plate. Without getting technical. That’s old school and counter productive to gravity and all sorts of physics related to stopping a moving mass. This is important in Relation to how fast you can print.
the Ender 5 has the hot end mounted on the top rail and the build plate goes down. If you really want to understand why this is ten times better call me. I don’t think anybody on the reef forum wants to read the tech side of that. So just trust me or call me.
either way. Happy reefing. We um. Happy printing

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So I'm looking at the Ender 3 V2 with the glass plate and new screen/interface.
The head rises from the plate to perform the build.
It's $269 at the best price with next day shipping.

If I drop and additional $40 I can upgrade to the metal extruder and the metal hot end.

That's $310 for the newest version of the 3 with upgrades.
But I'm limited to 200x200x250 (approx 8x8x10)

If I go with the 5 it has a metal extruder, older screen/interface, and I'm unsure of the hot end.
The plate drops from the head to complete the build.
Its $339 at the cheapest, but I do get a 300mm tall build (12)

So they seem close.

The 3 v2 has the new interface, the glass bed, all metal upgrades, and a build height of 10" for $309

The 5 has the old interface, magnetic bed, at least a metal extruder, and a build height of 12" for $339

This is where my anal retentiveness comes in and it takes me a month to debate between the two.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
And now you know why im stuck in limbo..... @Sponge just tell me which one to buy.... so i can blame you if it doesnt work !!!!!!!!!

LOL