• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Apollo Reef LED's... anyone have them?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
At the frag swap, I was talking to someone (I think he was from Knockout Aquatics?) who had a display on the Apollo Reef LED lights. I was pretty impressed with the par readings and it looked like a real quality unit.

I'm considering upgrading to their Dimable LED's but was wondering if anyone had them and could provide any feedback?

There are 2 issues that are slowing me from just pulling the trigger on buying these:

1. The dimable units require a controller, but they are designed to work with an Apex. So, I'd likely need to invest in a controller as well. I could probably use a controller anyway since I don't have one yet and it's been on my "some day" list.

2. They don't come with any mounting hardware (that I know of) and from what I gathered at the frag swap any hanging kit will probably work. I'm thinking of making a DIY hanger like Thirty 5 made for his AI Sol's. Either that, or I find some other similar hanging frame because I can't hang from my ceiling.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

howze01

NJRC Member
Not really an expert about these lights but what would the benefit of them be over a couple AIs? It seems they would work out to about the same $$, maybe even less for the AIs.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
AI was considered until I saw a video showing the par readings of the Apollo were almost double what AI's were.

As for cost, here's a breakdown based on what I would need (not including hanging kits or mounting rails):

2 x $399 (Solar Blast Dimable) = $798
1 x Apex Jr. = $150
1 x Apex VDM = $100

Total = $1048 (Cheapest options for these lights, would be more if I invested more in standard Apex instead of Jr.)

Not sure what the AI's cost because I'm not sure if I would need 2 or 3 of them... I think around $400 each for the Sol Blue? Would I need 2 or 3 for a 48" x 18" x 18" tank?

SOL's would be cheaper, as you would only need 2 units for your tank George. A friend of mine has has em for about 8 or 9 months now and is getting phenomenal growth too. I think the whole package for 48" hanging kit, controller, and 2 units is like 900 -something or in that range.

i also like the apollos and did watch that video, likewise was impressed as well. I didnt read far into them, but they are a lot more power for the same price. Minus the controller. Either way i dont think you can go wrong, But the apollos would give you some leeway if you upgrade in te future. The sols would require more units

for reference here is his tank SpideyBry sol tank

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's the vid Richie.

[video=youtube;qC0barSQf2M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qC0barSQf2M[/video]

I should note that on their website, they're now saying that since the Par readings were so off the charts that they redisigned them with larger "windows" and spread the bulbs out more. This gives the fixtures a larger coverage area with slightly less par readings... but they're still better than the AI's.

If you look on their website, you can find the new par readings of the updated fixture.

So a little while back I put a post about Chinese brand LED's and quite a variety of them to be exact. Here's a breakdown for anyone interested. I'm no electrician but having seen the mod done its no harder than twisting wires together since the units come wired already.

Apollo LEDS are Eshine/Chinese 3G customizable units. They are shipped wired WITHOUT the dimmable drivers already built. Depending on the SIZE of the dimmable driver that you use the process is simply removing the top case covering and HSF and then wiring the 2 wires to the mean well drivers. 1 for Blue 1 for Whites. Your options at this point is to

A.) Mount the dimmable drivers inside the case... or
B.) Use a wired braided cable to mount the box externally.
B1. The First gen Mounted the ballasts internally and though they got warm it wasn't that bad. The ballasts were bigger and tighter fit inside the case. Caused a slight bulge but not noticeable unless you knew what to look for.
B2. The Second gen mounted the ballasts externally which freed up space inside the fixture and led to cooler lighter fixtures.
C.) Optics- the Optics though configurable feature 3 types 30,60,90. They are usually arranged with the tighter optics on the sides and the wider optics in the middle.

Eshines 4G units are different quality and feature better build material and do compete par for par and perform better than the comparable SOL fixtures for approximately 1/2 or less the cost.

For reference

Eshine also just released Dimmable 24w X 3w CREE LED fixtures for 150 dollars each. AI's for 1/2 the price.

For a local repair person if one exists in your area..
Eshine will usually send a SHELL or a Ballast depending on what happened to your light. Eshine also has a repair guide in PDF form that they can send to you along with the parts needed to repair. Its a little DIY but for the cost.... eh...

Apollo's are a great product.. But if you can live with lowering/lifting your lights until corals adjust thats the only period i can think of that dimming functionality is useful. The rest of the time its just so you can show off your thunderstorm and give your fish heart attacks.

I noticed that they are taking par readings with the par meter on "SUN". I've read that the meter should be set to "ELECTRIC" when testing under LED's.

Thanks George

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks Jim, I haven't seen that one yet. I think this vid is using the non-dimmable units from Apollo. The dimmable ones have better par readings than these, but the readings in this vid were pretty good too.

Yea, it looks like the same housing as the chinese LED's, but the internals are no-where near the same... according to their FAQ section:

Q: I've seen cheaper lights that look similar, can you tell us some differences?

A: Our housing is a standard housing, much like many computer cases. But because a computer is built in a case that is the same, is the motherboard, memory and video the same? of course not. Its whats under the hood that matters. Let it be known that we are designing a custom housing that will be so unique you will know it is ours and ours alone. In the meantime visit this blog and see what one of our competitors circuit board looks like. http://apolloreefled.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/competitorsboard.jpg

Here's a pic of the underside of the Apollo units... I'm sure Jim can confirm that these aren't the same as the Chinese units. (Each bulb has it's own optic.):

http://apolloreefled.com/shop/solarblast-dimable/ (Sorry, it wouldn't let me show the image here... just click the link and then click on the pic to get an expanded view.)

Yes, the Apollos have an aluminum heat sink, along with 3 cooling fans. Much different than the cheap Chinese LED's.

Asonitez, are you saying the Apollos are the Eshine units we were looking at before? I don't think they look anything like them... not even the case.

Richie, I didn't notice that, but didn't know to look for it either. You could be right, but you still have to agree the difference in readings was huge (on the "sun" setting).

Last edited:
I love my AI's i have 2 of them on my 75 Rimless. I am going to borrow a Par meter to really check the par, but people I have talked to said that the Par will be well over what is needed for anything in the tank.

Check my thread below for my light build

the apollo reef LED are awesome. but I would want them to do the PAR reading with a non reflective black background. that would be a true PAR reading. regardless, the apollo reef led does has high output in compare to AI.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm well aware of your thread 35, in fact, I linked to it in my original post of this thread. ;)

I'm likely going to copy your mounting rail system, or at least the idea.

If you could post some par readings on your tank, that would be helpful.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I bought one of thier non-dimmable fixtures at the swap. At first look it appears to be just the run of the mill Chinese fixture. The guy from Apollo LED stated that it has an upgraded heat sink, better fans, 60* optics, and the breakdown of LEDs is 40 blue and 15 white @ 20k. The LEDs are 3 watt running at 2 watt each. I just spoke with him a few days ago to get some more info cause I plan on using it above a 20H nano build and was concerned about overdoing it. He claimed that the fixtur I have would give reading of 350-400 par at the bottom of a 20H when placed 2' above tank. To me that seems quite high.
As far as mounting options mine came with small posts that could be used with hooks of some sort. I also recieved and adjutable cable hangers that could be screwed into the fixture, similar to the tek light which i think you have.
Don't know if this helps at all. If you have any questions let me know.

The casing you see is a generic chinese mass produced case. These guys use their own components INSIDE the light case, so its the inside that counts. They are using higher quality LEDs at higher wattage than the regular 119x 1w led chinese lights that look exactly the same. The lights they produce are of much more quality and therefor more suitable for our tanks, as well as more energy saving and efficient overall.

As for a hanging kit it uses 4 posts, 1 on each corner, and the 2 ends come together like this " ^ " and then a single wire runs to the ceiling or whatever you hang it from.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks guys. Good feedback.

I've been emailing Joe @ Apollo and he said they aren't making the 20k versions right now, only 15k. So mine wouldn't be as bright as yours jgraz.

I'm now leaning more towards AI sol though. It should be cheaper when all is said and done. I think it'll be an easier install too.

The sols are clean, Extremely clean. thats the thing i like most about them. They just look awesome lol. aside from all of the upsides performance wise, you barely notice them over a tank. For your setup, it would not detract from the tank as much as two of the larger, multi corded apollo fixtures.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll get a chance to check out an AI Sol tomorrow in person, so that will help me decide. I just wish I was able to buy these during the PA Group Buy. Could have save some cash. :cry:

I'll get a chance to check out an AI Sol tomorrow in person, so that will help me decide. I just wish I was able to buy these during the PA Group Buy. Could have save some cash. :cry:

I don't believe that you would have realized any savings, my understanding it that the AI, along with the Ecotech Radions are not being discounted, per a dealership agreement.