• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Apollo Reef LED's... anyone have them?

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I looked at the last order list for the GB and they were charged 15% less than the list price... so I think they did get a discount. Thirty5 can confirm that though since he was one of those purchasers.

if anyone want to compare AI SOL with ECO RADION, come to Howze01 house. his roommate CJ got the ECO RADION IN THE DISCO mode with red, green, blue, white dancing light. completely awesome. it is very thin and very slick looking. as a perfectionist engineer, i would say, the fixture is very slick and streamline.

If anyone intent to come to Howze01 house, let me know too so I can bring spring roll over with beer and we can party with that ECO DISCO RADION light. :)

now the question is , can we dance like John Travolta. ?

Jonathan, sorry to put the word in your mouth. and guys, ask Jon for his permission to visit him. don't just show up like me :)

Hello, I am the owner of Apollo Reef LED. I have contacted the forum moderators to sponsor this forum however in the meantime I've seen this post here and other forums and really need to tell you that your info regarding our lights is inaccurate as can be and possibly a guise to shill for Eshine.

I will make this very clear . We do not deal with Eshine Systems. Period. We do not receive our units "pre-wired". All assembly is done here in the USA right down to installing the network jacks for connectivity to the controllers. We don't trust Chinese assembly, they don't follow instructions well or consistently. we've seen the issues over and over with inconsistency and errors.

We had spoken with Eshine Systems months ago when they solicited US. Mr Gene Wong failed some very basic tests, like the use of thermal conductive grease ( Arctic Silver ) between the LED and the PCB. He had no idea what I was talking about and I had to send him a link. Then he told me, "oh we dont need that! Our boards are perfectly machined!" FAIL! And no heat sink in their fixtures either? Yes my friend you get what you pay for and we have incorporated value into every detail of our fixture right down to the waterproof rocker switches and FULLY adjustable hanging kits. I suggest you read some reviews from people who actually own our lights and can give a REAL analysis.

I am not sure how you see a similarity between our units in the Eshine 3G or 4G systems but those are exactly like one of our competitors.

Anyway 2012 will see an entirely new fixture from Apollo, COMPLETELY manufactured here in the USA, we will do our part to help bring jobs back to the USA as small as we are. Companies like ours are the backbone of this country and we ALL need to do what we can to put our fellow Americans back to work.

We've been working on a prototype and contracts with several companies right here in the states to build various components for us and have nearly everything nailed down.

Now are you shilling for Eshine or are you someone I know who that I wouldn't sell wholesale too and got upset? Ive seen this same post in more than one forum and it is certainly very suspect. I hope the forum moderators can see the shill attempt for Eshine here.

So a little while back I put a post about Chinese brand LED's and quite a variety of them to be exact. Here's a breakdown for anyone interested. I'm no electrician but having seen the mod done its no harder than twisting wires together since the units come wired already.

Apollo LEDS are Eshine/Chinese 3G customizable units. They are shipped wired WITHOUT the dimmable drivers already built. Depending on the SIZE of the dimmable driver that you use the process is simply removing the top case covering and HSF and then wiring the 2 wires to the mean well drivers. 1 for Blue 1 for Whites. Your options at this point is to

A.) Mount the dimmable drivers inside the case... or
B.) Use a wired braided cable to mount the box externally.
B1. The First gen Mounted the ballasts internally and though they got warm it wasn't that bad. The ballasts were bigger and tighter fit inside the case. Caused a slight bulge but not noticeable unless you knew what to look for.
B2. The Second gen mounted the ballasts externally which freed up space inside the fixture and led to cooler lighter fixtures.
C.) Optics- the Optics though configurable feature 3 types 30,60,90. They are usually arranged with the tighter optics on the sides and the wider optics in the middle.

Eshines 4G units are different quality and feature better build material and do compete par for par and perform better than the comparable SOL fixtures for approximately 1/2 or less the cost.

For reference

Eshine also just released Dimmable 24w X 3w CREE LED fixtures for 150 dollars each. AI's for 1/2 the price.

For a local repair person if one exists in your area..
Eshine will usually send a SHELL or a Ballast depending on what happened to your light. Eshine also has a repair guide in PDF form that they can send to you along with the parts needed to repair. Its a little DIY but for the cost.... eh...

Apollo's are a great product.. But if you can live with lowering/lifting your lights until corals adjust thats the only period i can think of that dimming functionality is useful. The rest of the time its just so you can show off your thunderstorm and give your fish heart attacks.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Joe (?, I'm assuming that is you),

First off, welcome to our club forums! Glad you decided to sponsor here and appreciate you stopping by to comment in my thread. :grin: I've sent you a few emails and you provided me with good replies. I've seen just about every vid made by your customers and have searched / read countless forum threads everywhere and haven't heard any negative posts except a couple with bleaching due to the lights being too strong... and improper acclimation was almost certainly the fault.

As for the post you quoted, regardless of Asonitez previous post, I was not convinced that you were selling the eshine fixtures at all. In fact, pretty sure I stated that below. I don't think Asonitez works for Eshine either, but he did present us with a group buy option a while ago since he was in contact with them from another forum. I think he just assumed it was being made by them due to the similar cases.

Anyway, I was/am very interested in your LED dimmable fixtures. In fact, I was about to pull the trigger and order 2 of them just before Christmas but you were sold out (well, the "add to cart" option was no longer there.)

I've seen these lights in person at our frag swap, and IMO they clearly looked brighter than any other light on display there. Not coming with controllers was my biggest hurdle and I spent a lot of time pricing Apex controllers and trying to decide if I wanted the Jr + VDM or if I wanted to go full tilt and utilize the full range the controller has to offer. After not being able to order your Dimmable units, I started considering AI Sols as they are readily available and have their own controller for about $80 extra.

But I didn't buy the AI's either. I started having second thoughts, knowing I wouldn't be happy with something I knew wasn't as good as what I could have had. I then began considering a DIY LED system instead. I'm finding that pricing is almost as much as your units when I total up the materials, soldering gun, controller, etc. So I may wait for yours to be available if I don't find a package that makes sense cost-wise.

Is there any way I could connect your dimmable units to a Reef Angel controller? I think if I had to get a controller to handle your lights, I'd like to get something as customizable as this. The issue would seem to be adapting the ethernet port from your fixture to the PWM channel ports on the Reef Angel.

See Page 3 of this .pdf for info on the connection.

:encouragement:I like the addition of the 403nm LED ... I have been crying about that for some time. Looks great and I am happy that a US manufacturer makes it. Can you tell us how many o fthem are there per fixture? The back of the fixtures with all the inputs certainly doesn't look the same.
Group buy!!!!!!

Hi ...yes it is me :) . The same guy you saw at the frag swap showing reality.

We are expecting to take delivery of components any day, we had a slight delay in customs but should receive this weekend. We then need a couple days to build some units that are already pre-ordered from this new inventory. All in all about 2/3 are already spoken for.

Something you should know and this is posted elsewhere on our website with new PAR readings for our dimable, is that just prior to Production I decided to make some changes to get more spread out of the fixtures. We opened the front window wider and longer and built a new circuit board spreading the LED out even more. my reasoning was simple, 550 PAR isn't necessary at 25" and spread would be better so you need LESS lights than our competitors!
So we spread the LED out and the end result was great! We still have 375 PAR at 24" and at 40" we have 165 PAR still enough to grow any clam or SPS at 40".
The spread where we measure 100 PAR at the outer perimeters is now up to 31" x 30". We were extremely pleased with the results and if you read any review from a customer who actually OWNS one of our lights ;) you will see they are very happy.
We also added UV LED to all of our fixtures in the 403NM range. The result of this was better stimulation of red corals. Instead of splashing Red and Green LEd lights on the corals and thinking they look right we encourage the corals to exited their own colors. This works MUCH better than any red or green LED added to the mix. Doing that ( adding red and green ) is a bandaid in our opinion and has been confirmed by reefers who bought our lights that have been doing this for decades.

We evaluated the Radion. Unfortunately we are not very impressed. First of all one single fan facing the water? Sucking moisture in?
Now if you look at their website under tech specs for that you will see XPG running at 5 Watts. XPG are 3W LED!
Add the reds and greens and check their total output spectral graph. Then check ours just for our 6500K LED. You can lay one over the other then ask, what did they acheive? Our 6500Kgoes right into the 700NM ( red ) spectrum with its peak where it should be at 450NM.

Dont want this to be a bashing session, but Im sorry, AI has nothing on us. Cree does not produce a UV LED so AI doesnt have it - as of this writing.

When doing a cost analysis, our fixture is really half the price since you need half the fixtures to cover the same area! 1 Apex JR and VDM for two lights about 25o, but you can add more VDM on at about 75.00 if needed and have the full functionality that this dimable was designed to give you, Ramp up Ramp down, sun up sun down, clouds etc....
Besides that the Apex has much more value that a simple dimming controller. The outlets can all be configured to mover your flow one side to the other, a temp probe that can be sued to shut down lights etc if your temp exceeds certain degrees. There is much more to this than meets the eye and requires real analysis which I am happy to help with.

To the admins of this site, please excuse this post, I am not shilling and did contact you to sponsor so please send me the info.

As for the guy who did the group buy for Eshine, well there you have it. Im just annoyed that he made comments about our fixtures as if he knew what he was talking about.

Everyone has an opinion. All I can say is, read my customers reviews, anywhere, any forum including France and the Phillipines where we now distribute our lights as well. As I said before, Eshine doesnt even know what thermal management really is. Their fixtures cannot last the expected 50,00 hours MTBF as expected and if they cannot, where is the value? Cheap is cheap.

Please feel free to contact me directly. I dont receive notifications from here.

Joe

570-589-0676
sales@apolloreefled.com

Joe (?, I'm assuming that is you),

First off, welcome to our club forums! Glad you decided to sponsor here and appreciate you stopping by to comment in my thread. :grin: I've sent you a few emails and you provided me with good replies. I've seen just about every vid made by your customers and have searched / read countless forum threads everywhere and haven't heard any negative posts except a couple with bleaching due to the lights being too strong... and improper acclimation was almost certainly the fault.

As for the post you quoted, regardless of Asonitez previous post, I was not convinced that you were selling the eshine fixtures at all. In fact, pretty sure I stated that below. I don't think Asonitez works for Eshine either, but he did present us with a group buy option a while ago since he was in contact with them from another forum. I think he just assumed it was being made by them due to the similar cases.

Anyway, I was/am very interested in your LED dimmable fixtures. In fact, I was about to pull the trigger and order 2 of them just before Christmas but you were sold out (well, the "add to cart" option was no longer there.)

I've seen these lights in person at our frag swap, and IMO they clearly looked brighter than any other light on display there. Not coming with controllers was my biggest hurdle and I spent a lot of time pricing Apex controllers and trying to decide if I wanted the Jr + VDM or if I wanted to go full tilt and utilize the full range the controller has to offer. After not being able to order your Dimmable units, I started considering AI Sols as they are readily available and have their own controller for about $80 extra.

But I didn't buy the AI's either. I started having second thoughts, knowing I wouldn't be happy with something I knew wasn't as good as what I could have had. I then began considering a DIY LED system instead. I'm finding that pricing is almost as much as your units when I total up the materials, soldering gun, controller, etc. So I may wait for yours to be available if I don't find a package that makes sense cost-wise.

Is there any way I could connect your dimmable units to a Reef Angel controller? I think if I had to get a controller to handle your lights, I'd like to get something as customizable as this. The issue would seem to be adapting the ethernet port from your fixture to the PWM channel ports on the Reef Angel.

See Page 3 of this .pdf for info on the connection.

:encouragement:I like the addition of the 403nm LED ... I have been crying about that for some time. Looks great and I am happy that a US manufacturer makes it. Can you tell us how many o fthem are there per fixture? The back of the fixtures with all the inputs certainly doesn't look the same.
Group buy!!!!!!

There are 4 pcs of 403 per fixture.

We dont do group buys right now on the dimables, demand is too high. Thanks

KUDOS to Apollo Reef that try to get the price down and deliver quality product that actually Made In USA. I am glad that we finally had some good detail of Apollo Reef LED.
my question: why are you not built the dimmable controller into your fixture even at a very basic i.e. set clock , set start time, set off time, set #minute for sun rise, set #minute for sun set. this would be enough for anyone without apex controller. I would say 1 micro-controller such as Cypress would do this without much of programming. 32Khz crystal to run timer. basic one big loop.

Hello, I am the owner of Apollo Reef LED. I have contacted the forum moderators to sponsor this forum however in the meantime I've seen this post here and other forums and really need to tell you that your info regarding our lights is inaccurate as can be and possibly a guise to shill for Eshine.

I will make this very clear . We do not deal with Eshine Systems. Period. We do not receive our units "pre-wired". All assembly is done here in the USA right down to installing the network jacks for connectivity to the controllers. We don't trust Chinese assembly, they don't follow instructions well or consistently. we've seen the issues over and over with inconsistency and errors.

We had spoken with Eshine Systems months ago when they solicited US. Mr Gene Wong failed some very basic tests, like the use of thermal conductive grease ( Arctic Silver ) between the LED and the PCB. He had no idea what I was talking about and I had to send him a link. Then he told me, "oh we dont need that! Our boards are perfectly machined!" FAIL! And no heat sink in their fixtures either? Yes my friend you get what you pay for and we have incorporated value into every detail of our fixture right down to the waterproof rocker switches and FULLY adjustable hanging kits. I suggest you read some reviews from people who actually own our lights and can give a REAL analysis.

I am not sure how you see a similarity between our units in the Eshine 3G or 4G systems but those are exactly like one of our competitors.

Anyway 2012 will see an entirely new fixture from Apollo, COMPLETELY manufactured here in the USA, we will do our part to help bring jobs back to the USA as small as we are. Companies like ours are the backbone of this country and we ALL need to do what we can to put our fellow Americans back to work.

We've been working on a prototype and contracts with several companies right here in the states to build various components for us and have nearly everything nailed down.

Now are you shilling for Eshine or are you someone I know who that I wouldn't sell wholesale too and got upset? Ive seen this same post in more than one forum and it is certainly very suspect. I hope the forum moderators can see the shill attempt for Eshine here.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Olivier, this is a fairly new company and they didn't even have a dimmable unit until a few months ago. They've spent most of their design research into making their fixture to be dimmable and with such demand they decided to produce one that would work with already available controllers (Apex and Profilux) to save time in the design/production.

I know they plan to include their own controller at some point and I think they're working on that design now. But, knowing their desire for quality and obvious desire to compete with AI, EcoTech, etc... I doubt it will be anything simple like you mentioned. Could they provide something simple in the near future? Yea, but I believe they will hold out for something a bit more special.

I've already asked about using the Reef Angel controller as an alternative and didn't get a response yet... but I'm working both angles and now have the makers of Reef Angel contacting Apollo for more info to see if they can make an adapter to control these LED's. ;)

I'm hoping both companies realize that a solution would benefit both parties, and me too!

George,
the point i want to bring up to them is that get something out the door to save them money in the initial of their capital investment with the simple dimmable programming for user. thus, will draw more buyer. then along the way come up with software upgradable to the simple dimmer. such as add on firmware update and new controller that has all bell and whistle. for me, all i need is a simple dimmer with sunset , sunrise. or they might think about 2 versions just like those controllers. one with simple and one with bluetooth linkable to those controller or whatever their creative engineer can come up with. HENCE, HIRE ME AS THEIR PROJECT MANAGER. :)

Yeah, that's what you need Olivier, more work!
as the market now a day, they should give me a medal of Labor since I can create more works for the company and people in the area :). I don't care if you the person is 5 6 7 8 9 or 99 years old, as long as they work, I would have a spot for them :) child labor? what is that mean ? never hear of it :).
remind me of back in 1988 when I was still in Nam, we rolled cigarrett by hand and cut it by hand. everyone love it since it is the hot market and us (work force) can earn money to help family. it was like 1 or 2 cent (us equivalent) per 100 rolls. awesome.

back to LED, we should do like 100 LED high power install correctly and full inspected at $20. that would be awesome. I am not go to jail for this. I was just kidding

Hi

Your opinions are appreciated and well noted. A TanksnStuff mentioned, our immediate goal was to be main stream and compatible with the controllers on the market.
We are and have been working on our own controller that was to be released when the dimables came out, but unfortunately the project manager and engineer on that project for some absurd reason decided to make a major change without consulting us and we ended up with a PWM controller in our hands that was useless for the Class II drivers we use. The simple sun up sun down was in our programming for our controller. There was an option for manual control for each of four ports and then auto control for the sun up sun down, based on Hawaii time. Down and dirty and simple but PWM and digital signals requires a different driver, then it would knock that out of the mainstream controllers compatibility.

That being said our efforts continue, we had examined several methods along the way including the type you mentioned but when a small company is focusing limited R&D dollars in a direction that their market analysis and discussions with larger distributors like AquaCave and CoralVue who have an interest in our development it was strongly recommended to not go that route, for now.
There is a bigger picture here and while we want to satisfy everyone, you know the old saying, you just cant. However that will not deter us from some development ideas that we are already working on for simplification for those who dont own or dont want to own a real controller but priorities need to be defined based on market analysis not just a few persons opinions. After all, we are the ones who will either win or lose with the right or wrong ideas, right? So far our dimable is a huge success and as more and more end user reviews hit the forums it is getting mroe interest so despite the handful of folks who want a simpler solution, we are having trouble keeping inventory. Today we received new inventory that is already 2/3 sold, pre-paid and had been waited on. So whatever we did do so far has been right.
We will continue working on newer and better designs. We dont sit still for a minute so while you dont see us shouting what our projects are off the cliff tops, rest assured we are working on plenty to try and make everyone happy that we can.

Thank you for your understanding and please be patient while we continue to strive for perfection in a sea of potential options.

PS You wouldnt want to work for me. Im relentless, I don't believe in 8 hour days, more like 18.

Ive been doing quite a bit and keeping up with our current business model, running our company and advancing new R&D while trying to heal from some major physical issues.
No, you don't want to work for me, long hours and the pay sucks ;)

You will just have to watch, wait and see what we do next. Thats all I can say right now. Thanks, Joe

George,
the point i want to bring up to them is that get something out the door to save them money in the initial of their capital investment with the simple dimmable programming for user. thus, will draw more buyer. then along the way come up with software upgradable to the simple dimmer. such as add on firmware update and new controller that has all bell and whistle. for me, all i need is a simple dimmer with sunset , sunrise. or they might think about 2 versions just like those controllers. one with simple and one with bluetooth linkable to those controller or whatever their creative engineer can come up with. HENCE, HIRE ME AS THEIR PROJECT MANAGER. :)

Very well said and you show a strong understanding for what we are doing and have been doing.
ReefAngel contacted me today to acquire the info needed to make their controller compatible with our lights, that info was readily shared and I will beta test and approve as a supported device when they are ready to do so.

Thanks

Joe

Olivier, this is a fairly new company and they didn't even have a dimmable unit until a few months ago. They've spent most of their design research into making their fixture to be dimmable and with such demand they decided to produce one that would work with already available controllers (Apex and Profilux) to save time in the design/production.

I know they plan to include their own controller at some point and I think they're working on that design now. But, knowing their desire for quality and obvious desire to compete with AI, EcoTech, etc... I doubt it will be anything simple like you mentioned. Could they provide something simple in the near future? Yea, but I believe they will hold out for something a bit more special.

I've already asked about using the Reef Angel controller as an alternative and didn't get a response yet... but I'm working both angles and now have the makers of Reef Angel contacting Apollo for more info to see if they can make an adapter to control these LED's. ;)

I'm hoping both companies realize that a solution would benefit both parties, and me too!

18 hours / day is about right for every business owner. wish I don't have kids so I can work hard at work again :).
thank you for denying my application J/K.
Brandon, if they are hiring me and you, they will be broke in 2 days. due to your laziness and busy of buying jewelry and I am busying with my sons :)

I can not wait until you get the new version out with stand alone dimmable solution.

Back to the LED fixture again. for a standard AGA 180 gallon tank, how many fixture would you recommend ? the tank would be 80-90% SPS. would 3 fixtures enough for the tank? mounting at 9" above the tank rim? which is 11" from water surface.

Aren't you selling your tank? No i wouldn't go broke i still need to pay off my.mba

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk